Discuss Help with 2.2kw electric motor in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If it runs fine without the belt putting load on it then the loading is the issue.

Maybe the blade is cutting the wrong way lol

Hi all,

I’m new here so thanks in advance.

I have removed a single phase 2.2kw motor from a compressor in order to put it on a table saw.

The motor runs fine when not under load. When I connect it to the saw and start it however, it blows the 13a fuse in the plug.

I have subsequently wired it into a 3 phase starter (as that is what I had) and the same thing continues to happen with the 13a fuse.

What could I be doing wrong here?

Or is it simply a case that the motor is drawing too much power under when under load for the 13amp plug?

Thanks in advance
The mechanical loading of the table saw could be a lot more than the compressor, causing the motor to try and work harder, thus blowing the plug top fuse, if it runs OK under no load conditions, then you have your answer.

Seen a few DIY 1400/2800 mishaps,also motor swaps minus separate start/run capacitors.

Compressor may have had unloader valve,to assist starting...or saw might be that one off Laurel and Hardy,with the giant band,with associated tomfoolery ;)

The mechanical loading of the table saw could be a lot more than the compressor, causing the motor to try and work harder, thus blowing the plug top fuse, if it runs OK under no load conditions, then you have your answer.
I believe that this must be the case. The previous motor was 3 phase 1420 rpm. I presume that this motor simply doesn’t have the umph?

And did he change the pulley.

The old motor was pully-less (must have been taken for something else at some point in history) so put one on I had that fitted. Think new was bigger than old (based on the belt)

What was the rated rpm,of the motor you removed?

If it runs fine without the belt putting load on it then the loading is the issue.

Think that this is the case

What speed is the saw rated at?

Seen a few DIY 1400/2800 mishaps,also motor swaps minus separate start/run capacitors.

Compressor may have had unloader valve,to assist starting...or saw might be that one off Laurel and Hardy,with the giant band,with associated tomfoolery ;)

Not too dissimilar!

Yes I see now it is a 1400/2800 mix up.
The answer then I presume is a 2800 rpm motor. Would 3phase be better than 1?

Three phase will nearly always be better.

Right,so starting torque is over-loading it,and your fuse has saved you from real-time balance testing that blade,at max rpm x 2 ;)

I know the set up,as i spent many hours on a Lister table saw,and then converted it to a 540 tractor PTO drive...obviously,skipping the many current covenants,regarding HSE.

You will have the blade cover off? and probably even the riving knife...so,take care,fella. :)

You have had a similar upbringing to me lol.
We had an old Fordson Major with a pulley drive .
And the local sawmill was steam driven and the sawyer lived in an old horse drawn caravan . I forget the proper name.

Can we just remind some members that if you disagree the OP should be doing such work then explain it in a constructive manner, lets not lower the tone of the thread please.

I have a picture in my head of a 3’ rusty saw blade skitting across a farmyard causing untold mayhem and destruction...

You have had a similar upbringing to me lol.
We had an old Fordson Major with a pulley drive .
And the local sawmill was steam driven and the sawyer lived in an old horse drawn caravan . I forget the proper name.

"Vardo" is Romanes for such,"Kennik" is a house,for gavers such as mandi;)

Me pal used to drive to school,at 13,on a Major,and his dad had a Super Major,a six cylinder beast:) which sounds tame now,with most of the lads i know with larger farms,running 160-300hp JD's.

I've run a threshing box,off a side PTO belt,on an old Fergy,and thought the wire tied baling machine,was great:)

The old fella (long gone,sadly) was vocal,in explaining we were only playing with it,and it was less fun,when it was all manual labour to cart those lumps all day long,and through the night!

Reply to Help with 2.2kw electric motor in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock