Discuss Help with a fault :) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Fennell957

Any help would be massively appreciated.. I have 230v supply to my board.. Switch some mcbs on the voltage drops and other mcbs the voltage reads zero. Any ideas ?

bad connection. could be anywhere before or in the DB. could even be a duff main switch or RCD.

busbar aligned correctly? no parts behind terminals.

measure L-E. if the voltage is good then it's a N fault. could even be a bad joint in the street.

Have you checked for correct polarity on the incomer? What type of earthing arrangment do you think is present? Can you follow the voltage through on individual circuits until the end of the ciruit? I think we need more info!

Rich

if it is a Neutral fault before the CU, then the installation needs to be isolated until the fault is rectified.

bloody comedian. you should be on the stage......................next one leaves in a half hour.:6:

Have you checked for correct polarity on the incomer? What type of earthing arrangment do you think is present? Can you follow the voltage through on individual circuits until the end of the ciruit? I think we need more info!

Rich
Yes I checked the polarity at the incomer all ok. Earthing is TNCS. you cannot really follow to other circuits.. As I said when all mcbs are off I have 230 at the mains switch .. Switch 1 or 2 on and it drops lower.. All of them reads 0 v. Turn all off again I have 230 back?

Yes I checked the polarity at the incomer all ok. Earthing is TNCS. you cannot really follow to other circuits.. As I said when all mcbs are off I have 230 at the mains switch .. Switch 1 or 2 on and it drops lower.. All of them reads 0 v. Turn all off again I have 230 back?

What other tests have you carried out and what were the results?
How did you test the polarity?

Don't keep switching loads on as you risk damaging equipment which may not like having unusual voltages presented to it. If you need a test load use lighting circuits with proper lamps on them or the immersion heater or similar purely resistive loads.

Do they teach ohms law to elecricans any more?
Stick your test meter across the incoming supply to the consumer unit. Measure the voltage with all loads turned off, turn on some loads and if it ever drops below 216V turn everything off and phone your DNO as there is an upstream fault. It may be a loose connection upstream, but as you have had to ask this kind of question you do need the DNO to help.

Do they teach ohms law to elecricans any more?
Stick your test meter across the incoming supply to the consumer unit. Measure the voltage with all loads turned off, turn on some loads and if it ever drops below 216V turn everything off and phone your DNO as there is an upstream fault. It may be a loose connection upstream, but as you have had to ask this kind of question you do need the DNO to help.

Ah ohms law , yes I use it all the time ....The quicker I Finnish the quicker I get ohm....:6:

Reply to Help with a fault :) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net