Discuss help with flickering when switched on in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Andy Turner

Hi all new here just need some help and I am not a electrican
i have LED's gu10s when I turn the swich on it is not a dimmer and it is the swich that was in when we had halogens thay flicker and thay may have been on a 30sec or so then will do the same when I also but the indution hob on it will flicker the LED's been in from new just under a year this dose not happen in the author room turns on fine it is also a new unit ruff the same time
any help on why this happend
thanks
Andy
Ps it also flickers/strobed when the doorbell rang and that is battarry may have been the hob on fan overn on have know idea
would changing the switch help as it was the original one from the old kitchen halogens it is about 4yrs old original fitted by British gas lights redone about yr ago electric re used the same switch as I went to turn off the LED's flickers

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is old and the OP is unlikely to come back but...
Translate:

About one year ago I changed my GU10 halogens to GU10 LED.
No other changes were made to the circuit so it is the original switch (fitted with the lighting circuit about 4 years ago by British Gas).

When the LEDs are on they will intermittently flicker at say 30 second intervals and they will also flicker when the induction hob is turned on and, perhaps when the (battery) doorbell operates (though this may still be the hob on fan overrun).

I have similar LED lamps in another room and they are unaffected and work fine.

I do not know why this happens and would appreciate any help, would changing the switch help?

Answer:
The likely cause as you describe it is that there is a loose connection in the wiring to the lights, this is most likely either at the switch or the first fitting from the switch, as all LEDs in that room are affected. This high resistance joint would drop the voltage to the LEDs when more current is used in the house (such as by the hob).
You should note that some LEDs will flicker when off if they are on two way switching.

Thanks Richard i am getting the switched changed so when it gets done i will get the LED's looked at thanks had a idea it may be the led as i have taken out the led near the switch on a number of occasions for one reason or anther so i will check that first thanks for the help and info

Reply to help with flickering when switched on in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net