Discuss Help with LED Dimming in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Fitted a Varilight v-pro dimmer switch, 400w 1 gang on 2 led downlights, luceco fire rated, 6 watts each.

When the light turns on, it’ll dim up and down but then turns itself off and to get it back on you have to switch it off and back on and the same happens.

Had this same problem with the 2 downlights in before but thought the issue was tht the lights were not dimmable?

Had a neighbour that has a 24w led strip light and the same thing happened when the switch was fitted - v pro varilgiht 400w

Any suggestions on what’s going wrong or how to fix?

The thing is, I qualified not long ago, I just can’t think why this isn’t working! With LED lights I thought the rating of the switch - 400 Watts is divided by 10 equaling 40w maximum, I’m using 12 watts and there’s no minimum

On them v-pro I think they have a minimum wattage. I may be wrong. Especially the 400w led version. I think you need to swap it for the 100w version as that has a lower minimum rating
that's probably the answer. he needs a dimmer with a min. load < his LED load.

On them v-pro I think they have a minimum wattage. I may be wrong. Especially the 400w led version. I think you need to swap it for the 100w version as that has a lower minimum rating
Agree with this, 12 watt load on a 400 watt dimmer is insufficient and making the output stage unstable especially at low dimming levels. I'd also go with a 50 or maximum a 100 watt dimmer.

Agree with this, 12 watt load on a 400 watt dimmer is insufficient and making the output stage unstable especially at low dimming levels. I'd also go with a 50 or maximum a 100 watt dimmer.

I thought that with a dimmer and LEDs that you had to divide the load by 10 so it would be 40 watts maximum for LEDs or am I tripping?

I think there is a minimum load with the varilight dimmer.
The varilight dimmers are usually a maximum of 40% of the total wattage, so a 400w dimmer would be 160w maximum , and with only 12w total on this dimmer I think thats too low

Reply to Help with LED Dimming in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net