Discuss Help with Makita battery problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
I have a pairof 24 volt 3.3ah NI-MH batteries and yesterday I put one to charge. Within 10 minutes the charger had said it was fully charged. Put it onto the drill and there was almost no speed with the drill.

Checked the voltage today and its showing 24.6 volts, but when used its like a flat battery. Anyone know of whats causing this.

Measuring the battery voltage with no load on is a bit worthless really as it doesn't really give an idea of the battery condition.

how old are the batteries?

Fair comment. They are probably 41/2 years old, but not had that hard a life in regards number of charges

Still pretty old for NIMHs..... may just be getting knackered from old age.

Apparently you can flash them with a welder which will give them a few more months of use. I have never tried this, by the way, but I'm sure there's a post about it on here somewhere.

Are you using the correct charger that was supplied with those specific batteries? I came across a Mactec charger which fitted certain Makita batteries but it didn't charge them properly. If you did it the other way around and put the Maktec batteries in the Makita charger they overheated.

Alls been well until yesterday with no gradual loss over a period of time. Is this how they fail?

Been told to use the welder method, but not to confident in trying it TBH.

Its the same Makita charger i've been using since day 1

These batteries are only good for 5 years it is the same with burglar alarm batteries your 4 1/2 comment says it all to me yes you have voltage but what you dont have is capacity so if the battery is a 24v 3 amp hour unit that lasts 2 hours then after 5 years or a hard life it bcomes a 24v 0.5 amp hour that lasts 10 minutes

Forgot to add go to the Yuasa web site and you will get more info on a batteries lifespan

Last edited by a moderator:
Pros and Cons says you would be cheaper getting a jobbie with a 1 year parts and labour warranty

Well if you're scrapping the batts why not try the welder method anyway? I read somewhere you can crack it open and do the same thing on the individual cells inside with a car battery.

Ooh ooh I just had a thought, you didn't try charging them right after you used them, did you? Could be thermal issues making the charge stop short. And is the same thing happening to both of them all of a sudden? If so, I'd try another charger 1st. Mind you, at 4.5 years you're near the end of their life anyway.

They had been left overnight before charging. Another battery of the same model charges ok so ruled out the charger.

Giving it a go with a welder anyway, like you say if they are dead might aswell try it. Will it work with a MIG welder or does the current only flow through the welding wire on those?

Reply to Help with Makita battery problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock