Discuss Help with new light socket wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

orsm

Hi guys,

Could someone kindly point out where the correct wires should go from the old socket into the new one.

I have added the pic of the current wiring in the old switch and have a pic of the new switch.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_2330.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2331.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2334.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 122
Jeff, your predicament is a prime example of DIYers dabbling with something they don't know what they are doing, sure have a go at the simple things, but in this case you really ought to employ an Electrician, wont take long nor should it cost a lot maybe £45 - 50 for a call out better safe than sorry, personally I think it would be wrong to advise you on what to do, others may disagree with me, but that's my call.

A bit hard to tell, but if the furthest switch in photo 1 has four terminals, you won't be able to use your new switches.

Edit: At a second look, it says intermediate on it, so definitely not a straight swap.

Last edited:
You're right, you can just make out 'INTERMEDIATE' on the furthest gang.

Thanks for all your replies, thought it would just be an easy "like for like swap" Ive changed switches before in my old house but this one threw me a bit, I will look at getting someone in.

Cheers

Jef.

if youpost a more accurate location, one of us may be close. it's only a call-out fee to sort this.

i like the click switches with the interchangeable switch modules.

But that's me taking it off topic again.

Your in trouble now.

Crucifixion?
Yes.
Good. Out of the door. Line on the left. One cross each. Next....

I never take posts off topic. :)

A bit hard to tell, but if the furthest switch in photo 1 has four terminals, you won't be able to use your new switches.

Edit: At a second look, it says intermediate on it, so definitely not a straight swap.

Also the 2 Blacks in the connector block in picture 2, and it says L1 L1 on the switch. So yes definitely an intermediate. :)

Would you all say this justifies a call-out fee ? If someone local rang me with a similar small job and arranged for me to pop in over the next few days on my way home for example I'd probably just be charging £20-£25.

Would you all say this justifies a call-out fee ? If someone local rang me with a similar small job and arranged for me to pop in over the next few days on my way home for example I'd probably just be charging £20-£25.

so, a reduced call-out fee may be appropriate but bear in mind that you'll probably need a trip to wholesalersforthe switch.not many of us carry a 2way and intermediate 2 gang on the van.

Never mind carrying it in the van. Very few wholesalers would have a 2-gang intermediate in stock. Unless a grid switch was used or Click with the interchangeable modules then it's not going to be an off-the-shelf solution.

so, a reduced call-out fee may be appropriate but bear in mind that you'll probably need a trip to wholesalersforthe switch.not many of us carry a 2way and intermediate 2 gang on the van.

Yes of course Tel, I was thinking purely in a 'labour only' sense, the switch and any associated trips to pick it up would be on top.

New switch looks like a metal one, likelihood of finding an arrangement that looks like the rest of the switches/sockets in the room (if they've been changed), is probably very slim.

Reply to Help with new light socket wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net