Discuss Help with oven circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Sally

Hi - can someone please clarify for me the specifications for connecting a built in oven and hob. I have spoken to 3 electricians and they have all come back with different answers.

The oven is
Voltage / frequency 220-240 V - 50 Hz
Total power consumption 2.3KW
Fuse min 13A
Cable type / section HO5W-FG 3 x 1.5mm2 or equilivent

The hob is
Voltage 220-240 V / 380-415 V 2N 50Hz
Power consumption 5800W
Cable Type HO5V2V2F 3 x 2.5mm2

2 Electricians say that a 6mm cable is reqruied
1 says that these can be wired directly into a 13 amp plug and plugged into a socket on the ring main.

Which is correct

I have spoken to 3 electricians and they have all come back with different answers.

2 Electricians say that a 6mm cable is reqruied
1 says that these can be wired directly into a 13 amp plug and plugged into a socket on the ring main.

My arithmetic is playing tricks :)

The advice of the electrician filing the minority report should be ignored ;)

6mm cable deffo. for the hob.

the oven could be on a 13A plug, but this is not advisable considering the 2.3kW. unless it's plugged into a dedicated socket solely for it's own use. i would advise a 32A circuit to feed both via a 45A isolator and dual outlet cooker connection unit.

Any load over 2KW should ideally be on its own circuit and the 5.8KW hob should defiantly not be installed on a plug top. A 6mm on a 32A circuit breaker (installation method permitting) is generally considered to be good up to a total connected load of 15KW with cooking appliances when diversity is factored in. Manufacturers instructions should be taken in to account but in the absence of the manufacturers instructions A 6mm circuit on a 32A circuit breaker connected to a suitibally rated double pole switch and then from the load side of double pole switch to a dual appliance outlet plate where both appliances can be connected. The setup I've described would be a typical setup in an existing kitchen where additional electric cooking appliances have been added. The above assumes the oven and hob are in close vicinity...A reputable electrician should really take a look to assess the situation to see if this is viable...The chancer who said both appliance can be plugged in to an existing socket should be shot :D

Ummm... if you have 1.5mm² and 2.5mm² to the appliances supplied on a 32a breaker do we have a problem with that? And surely if you apply diversity we have a load of 10a for the oven and 16a for the hob no?

I would suggest if the oven is a fan oven then you must incorporate circuit protection as the op stated which is 13A from the manufacturer. A fan oven is not a fixed load due to the fan motor.

if you have 1.5mm² and 2.5mm² to the appliances supplied on a 32a breaker do we have a problem with that?
Hi - using figures from a Wylex data sheet I have, the B type 32A MCB I2t and adiabatic says less than 1.5mm needed up to 5KA (maybe more, but need my binoculars to read it that close). So 3 by 1.5mm cable can be ok on a 32A MCB with an appropriate fixed load.

The fixed load situation has always confused me. I understand that the load cannot overload, but as the cable is 1.5mm & the oven is 2.3kw should it not be connected to a 13a f.c.u. Whenever I install an oven & hob. The hob is supplied from the ccu & I feed a fcu from the ccu to supply the oven if it is under 3kw. If the oven is above 3kw, I feed them both from a dual outlet plate. I queried with Elecsa, an oven which was 2.7kw (1.5mm cable) connected to a dual outlet plate with a hob on a 32a CB. They informed me that the oven should be fused down, it cannot overload, but under fault conditions may not trip the circuit breaker before the cable catches fire.

I'm now confused over these comments re diversity, fix loads & flexible cables. OSG suggests diversity can be applied to all 'household cooking appliances'.

When designing the circuit for household cooking appliances, you would calculate the maximum demand, using diversity, to install a suitable sized final circuit cable and ocpd. The ocpd is selected to protect the final circuit cable, not flexes to the appliance? If the manufacture deems it necessary, they would install suitable fusing, i.e. all their internal cables?

Or have I got that wrong?

I queried with Elecsa, an oven which was 2.7kw (1.5mm cable) connected to a dual outlet plate with a hob on a 32a CB. They informed me that the oven should be fused down, it cannot overload, but under fault conditions may not trip the circuit breaker before the cable catches fire.

Hi - I was concerned about this so did calc (post #9) and 3x1.5mm appears ok. Unless I'm wrong?

In case the original question gets lost in this debate (ref fusing down for fixed loads)in order that the person asking the original question is in no doubt
The 5800 watt hob must not be supplied via a plug top,it requires direct connection to the 6mm supply cable

The 2300 watt oven is suitable for direct connection also,the connection to the load cable may include connection via a plug top,its down to personal choice and manufacturers instructions

so, when all said and done, 6mm for hob and debatable on the oven. OP long gone, no feedback,he/she cant be arsed replying to posts. going to put my head in the oven. oops, it's not bloody gas. :(

Reply to Help with oven circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock