Discuss Help with pricework in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

madrid

Had a meeting today with home improvement company/developer.He wants a couple of electricians as subbies to work on various contracts he has coming up.When i do price work i normally provide materials and make decent money.£50 a socket /switch ,set price for consumer unit and bonding etc.However he wants a set price per point,light,downlight etc labour only and i wasn't too impressed with what he suggested but have not really got a clue what is a reasonable rate to make money.I suggested a day rate but he was not too keen on that.I live in the south bucks and a decent day rate about here would be between 160 and 180 although some charge a lot more than that.I would appreciate any advice on pricework charges.

Its sounds as though you won't be earning a living from him, your be one of many who gives him a fixed labour price per item. He will purchase his own materials, he holds the purse strings and your one of many who wants to get your hands in it lol

Say you used to charge £60 per down lighter, take off materials, £6.00 for a light and £1.00 for a chic bloc and say £3 for a length of cable, a total of £10 he knows you was charging £50 labour per down lighter.

If you think hes going to allow you to wire 30 of them at £25 a lump then go back and second fix them and earn £1500 for two days work, your in a dream world. Your be earning £120 a day tops, work that out.

Your bet best is to go and work with those who are charging £160/£180 and Ill come with if there's room.

Not a pop fella, just telling you the way these people work and that's why they have money.

tony is right mate, and i bet the company still charge the £50 or £60 per point. They want you to work for now't, and i bet they also want you to do Part p notifications as well at your own expense. It sound to me like you could be on the wrong end of a very mucky stick here. Only you can know if you afford to work for low rates, as only you know what your financial situation is. Another thing that springs to mind is, will this bloke buy decent or even the correct materials, i bet he doesnt. So not only will you be expected to fit crap which will take longer, but guess whos fault it will be when something breaks or stop working. Tell him you want £180 per day plus fuel for 8 hours, or to shove it where the sun don't shine. Don't get mugged.

Cheers..........Howard

Can't really add to what's been said really, the fella will get the cheapest load of old chint that's on the market and expect you to fit it in twenty seconds for sod-all. Often this kind of work isn't worth even considering. Let me guess, when you first met this guy, he said 'right, this is the way I do things...', right? You'll find the way he does things is 'my boys have just connected all this up, my regular sparks is fully qualified but he doesn't do certificates, so sign it off for me, will you?'

If you're lucky you'll get a fiver per item and as already said, when his cheap rubbish doesns't work the onus will be on you to sort it. Don't touch it with a bargepole mate.

He offered me 20 quid per point ,no chasing or making good as polish labourers would do all that.I offered a day rate dependant on amount of work offered.Oh and I told him there was no chance of me signing certs for other peoples work and that each cert would require additional sums.A lot of the work was in really upmarket places in south bucks so he would be getting premium prices.Thaks for your views.

Don't surprise me, I said in my previous your be lucky to get £120 a day out of him. Those people doing the chasing and making good will be doing it soon as part of the day rate of £60.

Race to the bottom on wages!

Reply to Help with pricework in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net