Discuss HELP with quote please. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi good morning.

I hope you are all well and have had a good Christmas .

I went to quote for a job today.

Its one large house that has been converted into 2 HMO properties.

Couple of questions that i need help with please. As i have never done any install work on a HMO before .

The builder had an electrician there before Christmas who has 1st fix both properties including a fire alarm system in each.
What certification do i neee to provide for the fire alarm system?

Is it something i can issue as a domestic installer with the NIC. Via my online certification website? Or do i need a registered fire alarm company to issue certification?
Do plans of the fire alarm system need to issued also?

Is there any other issue i need to think about with a HMO?

Does it need emergency lighting installed?

Many thanks Darren the electrician from volt-elect

We have had this on the forum a few times before. Why is the electrician who done the first fix not doing the second fix it is now his design? I would want an EIC for the design and first fix from him before starting. There are exceptional circumstances eg sadly the current electrician had passed away suddenly or through serious injury/ill health or the electrical contractor has "gone bust".

Yes will require emergency lighting and with regards to the fire alarm you need drawings for design, as installed and obviously of zones. As it’s life saving equipment it would probably best to work alongside someone who’s knows the ropes.....Their could be a member on here that could help. I doubt you would be able to do the appropriate certification being a domestic installer as it’s defined scope for the likes of kitchen fitters, heating engineers etc.

Hi .
Thank you for all replies.

Im not sure why the other electrician is not carrying out the 2nd fix. I will ask the question.

The reason why i said i would quote because the builder is a good friend of my best pal.

The current 1st fix hasnt been wired for emgerency lighting.

Yes i will get someone to carry out the fire alarm works and commissioning.

Again many thanks for all your advice
Darren

Hi bud,the first thing i would have to say,is a wise piece of advice,i got handed. A friend of a friend - is NOT your friend.

Do not feel beholden to take on risks and responsibilities,due to another's issues or failures.

The first task,would be to get as full a story as possible,regarding the present state of the install. Accept that this may only be an opinion,or only partially truthful.

Second task,would be to inspect any drawings or at least the plans and regs,which if missing,would ring half-installed alarm bells...

I would take the opportunity to read through your LA guidelines,regarding HMO's,as some have small variations in the rules,which can affect things greatly. There are current changes and amendments,in LA permissions,such as tracing,where due to the nature of operators and users,of some HMO's,the LA can make any contractors involved,responsible for knowing the full details of the operator.

This is to assist the LA,when future issues,whether financial or safety,mean name swapping and absconding,limit prosecution chances. The short version of this,means that any investigation will delve in to every single part of the contractors involvement and work,which can bring many other unintended consequences...

Not very Ho-Ho-Helpful,i know,but worth saying :)

My first enquiry would be to find out why the last spark is not completing the work.

And if there is an EIC for his part .
The Fire alarm would concern me too .
How good a friend is your good friend ? You need to tread carefully here , up here we say "There is a rabbit off "

Do you really mean "fire alarm", or are you thinking of "smoke alarm"?

There is an important difference. Well, more than a dozen actually.

Be interesting to know what category/grade of system has been specified and whether it is correct for the building.

I suppose the principles of compound issues,leading to a disaster,are there,the important thing is scale.

Grenfell,and 10 others i could name,are different,because it is a group,collective or authority,which diverts/accepts/"learns from" the following investigation...maybe.

With HMO's of the size discussed here,it will be individuals,that are singled out.

The unfortunate outcome of that,is that solitary figures,can be easily blamed,and punished,whether deservedly or not. It will NOT have the same financial overall cost,as law/regime/regulation change,as when the picture is scaled up.

Do not forget,it is always,always about the money.

There will be no individuals fined or doing porridge,as a result of the likes of Grenfell.

BUT...if during the full and detailed investigation...they find the fridge that allegedly started it,was incorrectly wired up,by someone either schemed or not... THEY will be getting the bad news.

I was explaining this to my ten year old,sharp little dude,even though i say so myself:rolleyes:,and he said "what...like the Great Fire of London?"...and what he spotted,was the baker on Pudding Lane,gets the blame...but nobody in his History lesson,was calling for the people who allowed straw/wood structures,or access to water,to be cited:rolleyes:

This is what you get,when you make your child split his time equally,between Fortnite and Horrible Histories :)

How do you know that the first fix has been done correctly? If for some reason the No 2 hits the fan who will the authorities be coming after you or the first electrician?
Walk away from this is your best course of action. Never ever do a job like this and most certainly never do a job when you go in after somebody else on a price. It is in your best interests to tell them to go back to the original contractor. They could be trying to play you off against each other in order to get him to drop his price. NEVER EVER in circumstances like this believe what is being said to you, people can be very economical with the truth in these sort of cases.

Don't touch it fella......or check every cable run......every fixing......do a full test on every circuit first.......especially if it's been plastered......as most people have said on here..don't touch it.....sounds fishy

Reply to HELP with quote please. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock