Discuss Help with Range cooker.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

WillWX

-
Reaction score
I'm in the process of re wiring a kitchen, the customer has gone with a Smeg Range cooker with a nominal rating of 19.5kw, the circuit is all in, that doesn't worry me.

However the DNO has been out to renew the service head as it was in a poor state, in doing this they have downgraded the cut out to an 80amp/16mm tails.

The max demand is roughly 50amps currently, but I feel once the Range cooker is up and running the max demand is going to be very close to the 80amps.

Would you reccomend to customer to have DNO back to upgrade tails/cut out? I would feel more comfortable knowing there is a 100a/25mm tails incase Mary berry ever pops in to show them how it works..

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

A cooker may have a maximum load of 19.5 kW according to the manufacturer, but if it ever pulled over 30 amps I would be very surprised

Diversity applied to cooker as you say is roughly 30 amps.

There are 2 ring circuits, 2 lighting, 16a radial and an immersion heater.

No electric shower, oil heating and no other big loads.

I may we'll be being over cautious here, after doing a walk around and applying diversity based on light points/socket outlets and immersion at 100%.

Is this an ordinary domestic kitchen? Who the hell would need a cooker that pulls nearly 85 Amps?? If I were you I would forget about exceeding the maximum load, what cable/OCPD have you put it on? How do you mean the DNO downgraded the tails?

Yes, ordinary domestic kitchen, it's ridiculous. I am going to try and explain to them tomorrow morning that in the nicest possible way, it's ridiculous.

I've gone for 10mm/45a or maybe 50a. Ref method C.

The tails from head to meter are now 16mm, I'm sure when I originally looked at the job they were 25mm, however I cannot be 100%.

I just looked at their web site and found a 19.5 KW with a listing specifying a 45 amp cooker switch
Even putting any diversity for this to one side and going with it drawing an unlikely 40 ish amp
It leaves you with a constant 40 amp to play with for the rest of the household loads,there appears to be a adequate supply from what appears to be a very ordinary demand

I just looked at their web site and found a 19.5 KW with a listing specifying a 45 amp cooker switch
Even putting any diversity for this to one side and going with it drawing an unlikely 40 ish amp
It leaves you with a constant 40 amp to play with for the rest of the household loads,there appears to be a adequate supply from what appears to be a very ordinary demand

Thanks, I will leave as is then. :)

Reply to Help with Range cooker.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net