Discuss Help with replacing light switch please in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I was hoping to replace a 4-gang light switch with 2 Koogeek smart 2-gang switches.

I removed the front of my existing light switch and discovered there are 7 wires coming into it and what google tells me might be a 'loop in switch'? o_O
I drew a picture:
Help with replacing light switch please {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The two new light switches have fewer holes :( :

Is it possible to connect my lights to these?

Thanks!

I doubt there is a neutral present for your existing wiring, the blue conductor is almost certainly a switch live conductor so it is not going to function.

How are you gonna fit 2 x 1 gang switch plates onto a 2 gang back box? Neat drawing btw

I doubt there is a neutral present for your existing wiring, the blue conductor is almost certainly a switch live conductor so it is not going to function.
Bugger. I was hoping the blue wire was a neutral.
How are you gonna fit 2 x 1 gang switch plates onto a 2 gang back box? Neat drawing btw
Enlarging the hole in the wall I can manage, but the wiring behind the switch is too complicated for me :0

Yes, all the black wires from Wires 1-6 are joined together.

Ok thanks again guys, I've been doing more reading.

I could use two Xiaomi Aqara switches instead, they have no neutral.

How would I wire my existing 7 wires to two of these?

if you have several black conductors giong into a choc block and not connected to the switches, then they will be neutrals.the backbox can be replaced with one that allows for 2 single faceplates. however, i recommend getting a local sparks to fit this for you.less chance of it going bang. whereaboults are you one of us may be close. it's not a wallet emptying cost to have it done professionally.

“Blacks are connected together”... read the small print.

Cable 2 appears to be a live feed. 1 and 3 are switch wires to lights.

The other side is a little more complicated, and appears to be using a different live feed? Can you confirm? (Did you have to isolate 2 circuits to make all this safe?)
If so, then all your blacks connected together from both circuits is what is known as a “borrowed” neutral and needs to be fixed.

Agree that you may need professional help with this.

“Blacks are connected together”... read the small print.

Cable 2 appears to be a live feed. 1 and 3 are switch wires to lights.

The other side is a little more complicated, and appears to be using a different live feed? Can you confirm? (Did you have to isolate 2 circuits to make all this safe?)
If so, then all your blacks connected together from both circuits is what is known as a “borrowed” neutral and needs to be fixed.

Agree that you may need professional help with this.

Yes, I have to turn off two circuit breakers to disable all the lights on this switch. (It's a kitchen, which was extended before I bought the house).

So I might have neutral wires? That's encouraging! I just packed up the Koogeek switches for return yesterday but I haven't posted them yet! Also haven't yet ordered the Aqara switches although they are sitting in my shopping basket.

Thanks for all the help. I was hoping to be able to do this myself but looking at the existing switch I just don't understand how the circuit works. It looks like it should just catch fire! I will take everyone's advice and find an electrician. I will ask here first! (I'm a few miles outside Cambridge)

I'll have a think about it. I was going to go with Koogeek for Apple's HomeKit but yesterday I set up some extra hardware which means I can now use non-Homekit stuff as well.

Not between L1 and L2, no.

I checked again, I made an omission earlier. The 6 black wires from Wires 1-6 are connected together in bunches of 3. The 6 yellow/green wires are all connected together.

I took a photo this time:

Can you confirm which if any of those switches is or was a 2 way?
The wiring on the 3rd switch is wired as though it were once a 2 way but has since been changed, the 4th switch has strange wiring, it looks like those 2 wires on L1 could have gone to Common, so no need for the strap.

Reply to Help with replacing light switch please in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock