Discuss Help with three phase power in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gavin26

Hi I need some help with 3 phase wiring. I'm fairly confident I'm right but haven't done it since I was 18. Would I be right in saying that normal 3 phase power for sockets are wired in star and you should end up with 5 cables at each outlet? L1, L2, L3, N & E? With a 3 pole isolator for phases.Also do they have to be wired separately? Or can they be wired as radials?

I've been asked to do some industrial work (which I don't normally do!) what sort of thinks do I look for in regards to sized of cables etc what is the formulas for cable calcs on three phase?

I have a picture of the way I think they are wired but can't upload it because I haven't posted 5 times! Will upload once I can!

Appreciate responses

i think from your post you really ought to get someone with 3 phase experience to help you on this job. it's a lot more complex than just wiring up a radial with a few sockets.

1 What are the sockets to be used for
2 What load on each socket

Personally I would wire each outlet on seperate radial with a switched / isolated s/o (M.K. Commando range 16a - 125a ) but as Tel say's if your not sure ?

I have done 3 phase sockets as an apprentice but never been incharge of the design. I know it's different calcs to single phase etc. probably best getting somebody in with me then!

jesus some off you's need to chill out

it's really not that hard but need a few bits of info

what size sockets?
how far is the cable run?
how is the cable installed?
grouped cables how many?
proposed protective devices?
ambient temperature?

Hi ranger thanks for response. I know what the guys are saying but would just like a head start. I will in the end hire someone with 3 phase experience.

I couldn't tell you length of runs etc yet but it will more than likely be ran in conduit. Could you tell me the 3 phase formulas

we all learnt once!
which is why i suggested he got some expert help with the job. it may be to power motors or other industrial equipment. get it wrong and you're in it up to the neck. apart from that, public liability insurance may not cover him for 3 phase.

there is a we bit to observe and i am only learning it so sorry i cant help you as i dont fully understand it cause im a we fish in a big pond but i bark

which is why i suggested he got some expert help with the job. it may be to power motors or other industrial equipment. get it wrong and you're in it up to the neck. apart from that, public liability insurance may not cover him for 3 phase.

How many electricians check their insurance before every job to see if they are covered, would seem to be a stupid exclusion for an electrician

How many electricians check their insurance before every job to see if they are covered, would seem to be a stupid exclusion for an electrician
it's common. just a way for the insurance companies to screw more out of you.

Reply to Help with three phase power in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net