Discuss Help with two-way two-gang light switch, upstairs and downstairs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I have just removed two smart switches, and I have lost the picture I took of how the two-way two-gang light switches operated for my downstairs/upstairs lights. None of the online diagrams, instructions etc.. match to how mine is done. Any help is much appreciated.

I appear to have a R&B from each light to the same floor switch, and a 3 core B, Y & R wire between them. It used to work before, I can't get my head around how it to get it working again.

Cheers in advanced

Help with two-way two-gang light switch, upstairs and downstairs IMG_9147 - EletriciansForums.net

Help with two-way two-gang light switch, upstairs and downstairs IMG_9149 - EletriciansForums.net

Help with two-way two-gang light switch, upstairs and downstairs IMG_9150 - EletriciansForums.net

Help with two-way two-gang light switch, upstairs and downstairs IMG_9151 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi,what fusing arrangements have you got,at the DB,to cover the circuits shown?

OK. the red/black of the twin go to L1 and L2. then as for the 3 core, look in the other switch and match the colours the same, so you',ll have 1 in C, and the other 2 cores in with the red/black in L1 and L2.

Was it a 1 gang switch and a 2 gang switch with the 1 gang acting as 2-way along with another switch which controls the other light?

If so then it needs to be wired as Tel says above, although if I've understood it correctly one of the switches will just have a red and a black in them, in L1 and COM. You can choose which light has the 2 way switching, although the location of the lights might mean it only makes sense to do it a certain way around.

back in the day, it was usual to use the yellow in common, but sometimes the red. all down to personal preference.

Reply to Help with two-way two-gang light switch, upstairs and downstairs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock