Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Help with Wago instead of ceiling rose method in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. dgrs

dgrs Guest

Dear All,

This is my first post in the forums - so a little background first. I have basically no practical electrical experience but I have almost completed the 'Domestic Electrical Installers' course through OLCI (I have my Part P). I know a lot of you fully qualified guys don't like this 'domestic installer' qualification, and with hindsight I do partly wish I'd done the full thing - my understanding feels sketchy! I do have two friends, who are practising electricians and have some experience lined up starting very soon.

My question relates to replacing a ceiling rose with wago connectors. The reason for this is a friend has asked me to put up some chandeliers. The canopy of the chandelier, which attaches to the ceiling, is quite small and would be difficult to simply attach it 'around' the existing ceiling rose. So I thought using levered wago connectors could be an elegant solution. But is it ok for wago connectors to simply sit in the canopy of the chandelier or would the connectors need to go into a wago box (like with downlights where you can just pop them through the downlight holes)? I don't think the hole in the ceiling where the wires come through is big enough to pop a wago box through.

On a practical level, do any of you have any advice - for eg, do I need to be careful that the wires are long enough to fit into the connectors and then the connectors into the box or is this likely to not be an issue?

If there are some who think wago connectors are not the way forward may I ask how you would approach this job? Simply using connector blocks and have them sit in the canopy?

Many thanks in advance,

Dave

2. micknew

micknew Electrician's Arms

Sorry mate difficult to describe the step by step procedure and methods used to install a chandelier safely. You need to do it under supervision in my opinion.

3. dgrs

dgrs Guest

Well, the chandeliers were up before but a spark removed them (my friends moved out for a while and are now moving back in). The spark just put in a standard ceiling rose with pendants. The wiring couldn't be more simple and the chandeliers weigh very little.

I realised it would be a two man job: one to hold the chandelier whilst I'd do the connections (using wago super fast) and then attach the chandelier to the fixing bracket.

Thanks for your response and warning but I hope someone else has some advice - don't want to give up before doing the first job which I thought would be very small...

Dave

4. rich.250

rich.250 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Rich Williams Electrical
    If the connectors are effectively in an enclosure formed by the fitting and the plasterboard. Then that will be fine, if they go through the ceiling then they will need to be in some form of enclosure.
    Hope this helps

5. Mark_Burgess

Mark_Burgess Electrician's Arms

I do agree with micknew, I'd be more concerned how well the chandelier is affixed to the ceiling.

You have been mislead about your "partp" or so you call it.
    As you should know, Part P is a building regulation and there is no "part p" qualification, the only recognisable "skill set" attached to part P of the building regs is joining a competent persons scheme with say nic, napit or elecsa. For a large sum of money they will take your money and with a days assessment tell you that you are "part P qualified".

6. dgrs

dgrs Guest

So just to be clear, the ceiling and canopy of the chandelier qualify as an enclosure and therefore the wago connectors or connector blocks can sit inside the canopy?

Many thanks,

Dave

7. rich.250

Business Name:
    Rich Williams Electrical
    Was not even things as simple as this covered in you DI course??
    Hmmmmmmmm

8. dgrs

dgrs Guest

I understand this but there is an exam to sit... There are other exams and assessments as part of the course. I just mentioned this to show that I have some knowledge, but I am very aware that my practical knowledge is very poor indeed. None of the qualifications which one gets mean anything without an assessment from from of the regulatory bodies and this wasn't explained to me by the 'careers advisor' (salesman).

9. micknew

micknew Electrician's Arms

That's a mystery to me too, a DIYer?

10. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    yes, you can fit wagos or even choc blocks in the canopy. preferably wagos, 1. they are in a suitable enclosure.2. they are accesssible for maintenance.

11. dgrs

dgrs Guest

No, the course just wired in ceiling roses. We covered 2 way switching with an intermediate switch. The job I'm asking about is far simpler in terms of wiring but I posted a practical question...

My point of asking a question on here is I am lacking practical experience and thought people could help. I am experienced enough (just with DIY) to know that few things, unless you install the whole thing yourself from scratch, fit an exact scenario. I was really hoping that my question wouldn't just result in criticism of the course of did or of the lack of my own practical experience which I made very clear from the outset...

Oh well.

• Like Like x 2
  12. rich.250

Business Name:
    Rich Williams Electrical
    As I said, and telectrix,it is fine to install them.

13. dgrs

dgrs Guest

Thanks very much

14. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    @dgrs. you will get good advice, criticism and witticism on this forum. hopefully you can take a bit of stick along with the plain simple advice. you have been straightforward as regards your capabilities and deserve credit for not trying to blag it. good luck with the rest of your course and more importantly, practical experience with it.

• Like Like x 6
  15. mayfair

mayfair Electrician's Arms

Well done Tel I return every now and again to see how things are going and nothing changes much , But see people like you are still prepared to help rather than have a go at people wanting advice.....Hope you and the Mrs are well keep it up.

• Like Like x 3