Discuss Henley Block with DNO seal in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Spunkywads26

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Looked at a job today and found something which I believe to be odd.

TNCS system with tails out of the new smart meter into a small henley block. Then 1 set of tails only from the henley block into an old square d cu. The thing I found odd is that the henley block has what I assume is a DNO lead seal.

The customer has asked for a new circuit, so my plan would be to split the tails and install a new CU with RCD etc.... Where would I stand with cutting this seal to gain access to the henley block as it is after the meter.

My understanding has always been anything after the meter (or DNO isolator) is customer owned and thus fair game.

I've come across this before too, had no hesitation in removing the seals if necessary.
Possibly an over cautious meter installer worried about customer tampering but I'd carry on, as you say they're after the meter so consumers rather than suppliers equipment.

Only issue i can see is the safety considerations of working live as if there is no isolator between the DNO Cutout and the henley block then you need to be a bit careful when adding in or taking out tails to the Henley; Just make sure there is no load on the existing circuits, and use decent tools to reduce risk.
Not sure what your thoughts are on adding a isolator between the Henley and Consumer Unit for future use though? a little extra time and cost but makes life easier in future if you are adding in new tails anyway.

Was talking to a smart meter installer just this week about seals, isolators and pulling them etc.. i wont name the company but with the new modern ones, they turn off the consumer unit and check to see there is no load being drawn from the DNO service head, then pull them with no ppe, visors etc.. with the older ones they will if risk assessment allows work live, but often call out the DNO as they wont touch them.

Reply to Henley Block with DNO seal in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net