Discuss henley blocks and rcd's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rover v8

not working in the domestic sector i need help with 2 questions. firstly is it still allowed to cut into the tails between the meter and board and place a henley block in line so that i can feed a summer house as getting from the house is not an option due to doing to much damage to finished surfaces. Also in the summer house there is going to be a hot tub, light and at most 2 sockets so will a single rcd suffice or do i need to put 2 in to split the lighting and power. i have not done my 17th yet so not exactly sure. obviously will be pulling the main fuse.

The install should have 1 point of isolation for everything 'excluding the DNO's fuse'
Pulling the DNO fuse is illegal .... ill leave it at that.
Tail from meter into a fused isolator then into the henley block to feed your various D.B's

As your still an apprentice you should be under supervision of a competent person and you really should be asking these questions to your supervisor, asking on here suggests you are attempting this solo...

The arrangement of the incoming service needs to be known TNS or TNCS which may effect your earthing requirements
You need to refer to section 701 with regards to the hot tub

If your running a supply out to the summer house its normally best to use a cable with mechanical protection so as to omit the need to rcd protect it then fit a 17th edition DB in the summer house that way you dont end up with a remote rcd from the summer house or rcd's in series.

Ill stress my earlier point again ensure you are supervised as they may make recommendations on issues we haven't been made aware of which may be essential.

Noting your location please realise this forum is based around British Standards 7671 if you are enquiring with regards to practices outside the uk then follow the local Electrical regulations.

Yes you can use henly blocks. But you should get an isolator fitted rather than pulling main fuse. Some dno's will do this for free but even if they charge it isn't much. In my opinion you should earth rod your summer house and not export pme. Well it have an incoming water supply to summer house? Split board I would go for.

not working in the domestic sector i need help with 2 questions. firstly is it still allowed to cut into the tails between the meter and board and place a henley block in line so that i can feed a summer house as getting from the house is not an option due to doing to much damage to finished surfaces. Also in the summer house there is going to be a hot tub, light and at most 2 sockets so will a single rcd suffice or do i need to put 2 in to split the lighting and power. i have not done my 17th yet so not exactly sure. obviously will be pulling the main fuse.
if you dont know this...then you shouldn`t be installing and/or carrying out any alterations/additions....

go get an electrician in....caus you clearly arn`t...asking rubbish like this...

Last edited:
well well, thank you onions for answering my questions to confirm what i was thinking. as for all the others well, i will not bother to reply to as it is not worth my time. when i registered on here all my qualifications where asked for and given all except 17th which i do not have as it has changed since i left the country but now back in the uk. may be i should report abusive reply's or trolls , or is it worth the effort.

well well, thank you onions for answering my questions to confirm what i was thinking. as for all the others well, i will not bother to reply to as it is not worth my time. when i registered on here all my qualifications where asked for and given all except 17th which i do not have as it has changed since i left the country but now back in the uk. may be i should report abusive reply's or trolls , or is it worth the effort.

The 17th came with a large overall of the regs so unless your have purchased and kept up to current wiring practices then your work may not meet current standards... you have not informed us thus we can only reply to what you tell us in that you are not qualified to 17th.
I made some very good clear points regarding your earthing arrangements the need to comply to special locations etc etc if you are fully aware and compliant to these areas please tell us as we are not mind readers we only go on the fact you told us you haven''t got your 17th with no more info' any one in this situe i would still recommend they are supervised until they are fully compliant although this doesn't mean you have to hold the 17th just have a good working knowledge of it.

If you feel you have been offended report away but we only go on the info supplied if you are working to the 17th and competent with it then it wasn't necessary to state you don't have your 17th it only gives the impression you are not up to date with the modern regulations where my advice still holds..

Reply to henley blocks and rcd's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock