Discuss Hi all..... advice needed in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Ross4

Hi all..... Im Ross. Spent the last 5 years running my own sales company but sadly this has now come to an end. Long story short I've decided I want to retrain as an electrician and I'm really excited about it. Looking at what qualifications I need and a way in, being 27 an apprentice scheme is probably not an option. I sold myself on one of these 5 week intensive courses. Spent the last week begging and borrowing the £5000!!! before finding this forum and reading that its not all its cracked up to be. Just in time! Based in south Gloucestershire and would really appreciate some guidance and hear if anyone else has been in a similar situation and found their way.

Cheers,
Ross

Thanks for getting back to me. Would I need any training, qualifications or experience before approaching anyone?

Thanks for getting back to me. Would I need any training, qualifications or experience before approaching anyone?

not necessarily.. Offering to pay for your own training shows your dedicated and a lot of firms would prefer to take on a mature trainee than someone fresh out of school. They only down side is the money isn't going to be great to start off with but your be gaining experience.

£5k does sound very exi even for a Electrical Trainee. If you've got the time go for a college based one and get hands on ASAP. The Electrical Trainee courses are a bit like bathroom and double glazing sales, if you um a err all of a sudden they have a one off deal and can loose a couple of grand off the cost!

I can deal with the money side of things for the experience. Really appreciate your advice.... thanks! Glad I found this site before spending the money on that intensive course!
you can do the core qualification at some colleges evenings. level 2 then level 3, take you a couple of years. meanwhile try for jobs as electrician's mate. agencies can be useful here. you may have to blagg a bit, say you have some experience. learn practical side on the job.

cheers guys. Im looking at starting my electrical level 1 in september at Stroud college. Lets see if I can get an electrical mates job to get me started before then! Thanks for the responses!

Reply to Hi all..... advice needed in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock