• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Hi All. Need some advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All, my name is David and I clean and repair electrical ovens. I previously was a digital press operator and did lots of training to repair and maintain the digital presses.
I was cleaning a customers oven yesterday. I couldnt find the isolator switch to turn off so foolishly proceeded cautiously. While I was carefully cleaning around the bulb area a shard of wire wool tripped the kitchen ring main fuse switch. The oven was undamaged, but I have just been contacted by the customer to say that the short has broke her boiler which was also on the kitchen ring. I will be contacting my public liability insurance tomorrow, but can anyone clarify if this was my fault.

Hi,i cannot see how the wire-wool did this,unless there was no bulb in there? ...Anywho...there seems a rash of these type of claims,me pal who is in this type of job (white goods dogger) gets one a month...

I would be interested to see how the incidents were linked,or rather,have it explained... maybe it went off,if spurred off the same ring,or RCD covers several circuits...

To be honest,all i am thinking about,is what's the worst oven you have ever cleaned? ....Oh,and has a customer ever got mighty fresh with yer? ;)

There didnt appear to be an RCD on the consumer unit. I had the bulb cover removed to clean the glass and there was a working bulb in situ, SES fit. Must have been very unlucky to touch live, but need to know if this would have knacked the boiler mother board. Havent admitted liability, just said I would contact my insurers tomorrow.

Been there. Your very presence has caused issues in this household, with or without substance. You could just let your insurance company manage the situation; they'll send out a loss adjuster, who may or may not argue the issue. End of the day, next year for the next 'x' years, your PL will increase to pay off this liability.

Note to oneself; make sure your hourly rate reflects this liability, prior to stepping foot in anymore properties .

Quite possible the power going off (to the boiler) then being turned back on has caused the boilers circuit board to blow a component....
I speak from experience here, as I did it to my own a few years back....accidentally switched it off, realised in a second, put it back on....blew 3a fuse in spur, kept blowing them....burnt component!
£350 replacement from plumb centre! I managed to get a reconditioned one for £150 of eBay and changed it myself.

If you know a good gas engineer might be worth getting him/her to fix it for your customer ( shows goodwill and hopefully keep them happy) as opposed to going through insurance....as someone else said you’ll pay the extra in premiums for years to come.

Another thing that supprised me was why the 32amp MCB tripped. A single oven usually comes with 1.5mm cable which is 20amp max. I would ahve expected this to be fused at 13amp . Should this appliance have a 13amp fuse which should have blown first before taking the 32amp MCB down.

Another thing that supprised me was why the 32amp MCB tripped. A single oven usually comes with 1.5mm cable which is 20amp max. I would ahve expected this to be fused at 13amp . Should this appliance have a 13amp fuse which should have blown first before taking the 32amp MCB down.

A 32a MCB is must faster than a 13a fuse and usually trips first on a short circuit.

I can't believe these boilers fail when the power is turned off . So does this mean if there's a power interruption it busts the boiler? Anyone tried that claim on the DNO? I must've turned the power off to "1000" boilers and I must be the luckiest bloke ever.

Is this another item for terms and conditions?
"Sorry but I won't be responsible for your #%#% boiler failing to operate after it has been safely isolated"

I need to take a pill.

Just seen this on another forum about a glowworm boiler.

Had one yesterday turned off at switch on boiler did combustion seal electrons etc come to turn back on bloody switch had failed. Open circuit, by pass switch thinking that will sort problem till I can get a new switch, it had taken the board out fetched a new board from suppliers 1 hr drive through traffic 6 o’clock all running,typical Friday afternoon. Any one had this before ?

I’ve had it on an ultracom where turning power off at the spur took the board out.

over years seen it mentioned quite a few times on here about it happening , joke that a boiler cant be turned off and back on again

Had it only once on Vaillant 6xx R1. Turned it off at the spur and when turned back on it took the board out :(

Reply to Hi All. Need some advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back