Discuss Hi all new member seeking advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone I’m 36 and looking at getting myself a trade and becoming an electrician after being made redundant, I did some searching online and came across a trades trainer known has tradescourses.co.uk it’s a learn at home at my own pace with going to practical centres over an 18 month course but can be done in 12 which is down to myself, does anyone have experience in this company or even done their own training with them has I can’t really find much out about them doing searches online. I will gain at the end of the course these qualifications
  • Part p Defined scope
  • C&G 2382 - 17th edition of the IEE wiring regulations
  • Part P Full scope
  • C&G 2392 - Fundamental inspection testing and initial verification
  • C&G 2365 level 2 diploma in electrical installations building and structures
It all seems legit but what does it actually mean once I’ve passed I’ve been told I can get a job working in the council etc has a qualified electrician who can sign off my own work, it doesn’t seem like a 5 week fast track course but I feel like I need a bit more advice on it has the course is costing me a little over 2k is this trade course best to go with or actually going to college, I have since got me a full time job has I need to earn to pay bills and look after my family etc, my last job was working at Jaguar Landrover in Solihull and recently being layed off I’ve basically halved my salary and ended up at Kwik fit please help has I need some good advice

Hello everyone I’m 36 and looking at getting myself a trade and becoming an electrician after being made redundant, I did some searching online and came across a trades trainer known has tradescourses.co.uk it’s a learn at home at my own pace with going to practical centres over an 18 month course but can be done in 12 which is down to myself, does anyone have experience in this company or even done their own training with them has I can’t really find much out about them doing searches online. I will gain at the end of the course these qualifications
  • Part p Defined scope
  • C&G 2382 - 17th edition of the IEE wiring regulations
  • Part P Full scope
  • C&G 2392 - Fundamental inspection testing and initial verification
  • C&G 2365 level 2 diploma in electrical installations building and structures
It all seems legit but what does it actually mean once I’ve passed I’ve been told I can get a job working in the council etc has a qualified electrician who can sign off my own work, it doesn’t seem like a 5 week fast track course but I feel like I need a bit more advice on it has the course is costing me a little over 2k is this trade course best to go with or actually going to college, I have since got me a full time job has I need to earn to pay bills and look after my family etc, my last job was working at Jaguar Landrover in Solihull and recently being layed off I’ve basically halved my salary and ended up at Kwik fit please help has I need some good advice
that only shows 2365 level 2. to be fully qualified, you need level 3 followed by nvq3.

Ok that’s a start but do them qualifications gained mean I can sign my own work off? I absolutely no nothing about this but what this company are telling me, they have said they have been the uk’s largest training provider the the last 20 years yet I can’t find anything on them no head office address no phone number no reviews absolutely nothing which has now got me concerned has what I have found is how many scams are out there

You dont need any formal qualifications “to sign off any work”. Just proof your compentant. Unfortunalty although I have never heard of the company you have mentioned, it seems like they are giving it all the speil to get a quick turnaround of trainees like the others do.

I just want to be trained competently and safely and this company may do that but I have this gut feeling and alarm bells are ringing I take pride in all work I do and would want to become over the years a competent spark and not a cowboy are the qualifications they are saying I will get at the end worthy of the paper they are written on and does it put me good stead for the future?

never heard of that provider. if you look on the right side of your page, there's 2 forum sponsors. XS and Trade Skills 4U. both are well known. you need to aim towards a JIB gold card. any provider that won't do this ( by offering nvq3 and am2 ) is not worth looking at, unless you just want to be a domestic and join the rat-race of bottom feeders.

I think to start off and to gain experience a domestic electrical installer will be good to gain experience and to learn however I would like to progress to become commercially trained and industrial

You say your salary has halved since you left JLR and are now at Kwik fit, why not try and get a job in the industry you know. The streets will certainly be paved with gold once you have completed any short train course provding those qualifications, in fact you wpuld be lucky to earn anymore than you are now for anothrr few years afterwards.

That’s good advice and I did consider that, I used to wire light fittings for commercial and industrial builds before Jag and that’s why I looked into becoming a spark has I wanted a trade so would never be without work etc the college advisor/salesman said I could earn up to 60kpa which is where I want to be and to be a mechanic or technician that’s not possible I want to secure a future for my daughter which is why I looked into it

You wont earn £60k plus for a long time, even if you went self employed youd be lucky to turn that over for at least 2-3 years. Accounting into that annual cost of vehicle, tools, insurance, advertising, training.

To become an industry recognised electrican you will need the level 2 2365 then the level 3 2365 then you will have to work on site for your NVQ level 3 which is filling in a job portfolio and then when this is finished you will have to complete an AM2.

T0 work on Domestic properties you need the latest regs the level 2 testing 2392 and then join a CPS scheme.

There is a huge difference in length of time it takes to become either one.

To become an industry recognised electrican you will need the level 2 2365 then the level 3 2365 then you will have to work on site for your NVQ level 3 which is filling in a job portfolio and then when this is finished you will have to complete an AM2.

T0 work on Domestic properties you need the latest regs the level 2 testing 2392 and then join a CPS scheme.

There is a huge difference in length of time it takes to become either one.
Sorry @Massive1 but thats incorrect, your either a electrician or your not. Theres no inbetween.

Reply to Hi all new member seeking advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net