Discuss hi everyone can someone help in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jonnyb28

Right so first off i would like to hello ro everyone and thanks for dropping in

So i have a small issue recently me and my father decided to start a buissiness making paving slab so we ran at it whole hog and brought the biggest vibrating table we could find only to find out no has a clue how to connect it to the mains supply i belive its a 3 phase power supply i need

Is it possible to wire it up to mains or would i need a converter or sumit like that

Thanks for your help

Thats kind of why i am on here asking for advice i just didnt know what way to go with it didnt wanna pay a sparky £150 to say i could av done it myself i have looked at conveters but wouldnt know where to start

Last edited by a moderator:
Right so first off i would like to hello ro everyone and thanks for dropping in

So i have a small issue recently me and my father decided to start a buissiness making paving slab so we ran at it whole hog and brought the biggest vibrating table we could find only to find out no has a clue how to connect it to the mains supply i belive its a 3 phase power supply i need

Is it possible to wire it up to mains or would i need a converter or sumit like that

Thanks for your help
Is this unit going in year house or a business unit?

I concur with @Leesparkykent I don't think you can safely do this and test and certify it. Which if you are working with it day in day out its only a matter of time before someone comes to harm if you haven't done it properly.

Cheers guys but that didnt really help does anyone no how much work would need to go into rectifing the situation as we are only just starting up and funds dwindle quickly away or is it gunna be cheaper to buy a new rotary motar, i did read something about DAUL VOLTAGE MOTORS something about delta connection and another one run 415 and the other on 240 was hoping someone could guide me in what to try or look at

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst it is certainly possible to get a convertor to provide a three phase supply from a single phase supply, there are some technical difficulties in employing this.
The unit would use more power than in standard three phase because of losses and the convertors are quite costly (depending on the size of the motor for your unit).

I think it may be more cost effective to get a single phase machine or find out if the one you have has a manufacturer service to change it to single phase. This would have greater long term durability and probably be cheaper than getting a three phase supply arranged.

As Richard said, sometimes it is more cost effective to change the motor to a single phase one. But this is not always possible (especially from a domestic supply) as it can depend on the application and the size (kw and torque) required.

So as the guys have said it would be advisable to get a sparky in to take a look. It wouldn't cost you much for this and maybe a decent spark would take a quick look for nowt.

Pukka guys nice one for helping me clear that up its one of the details we over looked when we purcased our unit but it was a bargain and probally would never find one like her (350kg top deck) kind of bit off a little more than we can chew by the looks of it

changing the motor to single phase is the better option. any decent electrician would come and give a free quote. then it's up to you.

You can connect and run a 3 phase motor off a single phase supply and a capacitor
It will run slower and take longer to get up to that reduced speed and there is always the chance of burning out the motor (if the overheating is not monitored) but if may survive and you never know, the motor output may even be satisfactory ;) or better still,just buy a converter :)

How would i go about that only wanna try out some die mixes and just to get some presentation stock set just to recover a few costs maybe fund the new motor

Reply to hi everyone can someone help in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net