Discuss Hi from a gran with a dodgy socket. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mhmm I was conjecturing where you might be moving to. It sounds much nicer. Actually I had a vision that you were busy with a knife trying to lever the plug from the socket and that was why you were taking time to reply. I know what us older folks are like sometimes. But seriously I don't really think you were.

You could go out and buy a replacement socket and a new plug top for the extension cable (the existing socket will cause overheating to the next item plugged in,even if the plug can be removed)

The welded plug will be obscuring one of the 2 fixing screws needed for access in order to remove the socket, some how or other that plug will need to be dislodged,possibly by the screwdriver method you suggested

A new socket and a new plug for your extension ready for the friends spark to fit should save you any blood money the landlord may want to inflict
Thank you we have a store nearby that sells electrical stuff, I will get a socket and plug. :)

Hi,if true,a landlord who has acted as you have described,and has the power to "double" rent payments,does not sound acceptable...but plugging three items in to an extension lead,with a possible 3 to 4.5 kW draw,all from one 13A plug-top,may entitle him to ask for it to be repaired.

I would be tempted to get a recommended spark in,and simply swap the outlet.

Mhmm I was conjecturing where you might be moving to. It sounds much nicer. Actually I had a vision that you were busy with a knife trying to lever the plug from the socket and that was why you were taking time to reply. I know what us older folks are like sometimes. But seriously I don't really think you were.

A few years ago, ok a few decades ago, I would have gone to the library, took out a book on electrics and had it sorted, hence the supergran that I was awarded by my grandkids. Sadly my knees wont let me get down and dirty with dodgy sockets these days :D. Thank you all for your replies, my bed beckons now but I will update you when I get this sorted.

Morning, update. I have managed to wiggle the plug and it has come out by about 8mm. As far as I can see there is no burning on the socket and it seems that the right hand prong is stuck. It comes so far but then its as if it has caught on something.

This morning I moved the heater to another room and switched ity on for 30 mins. I use it regularly from room to room for instant but short bursts of heat. When I unplugged it from the wall socket the plug was hot. I haven't noticed this before but dont usually unplug it right away, just turn it off . Could it be the heater that's faulty?

About extensions. I am aware that 2 heat sources should not be plugged in to one exrtension that only has a 13 amp fuse, and thought it would be ok because the dryer was not being used. Should I have pulled out the plug? I have to use the dryer with the dehumidifier beecause there is no ventilation near it. Theres no power now either so not a problem but would like to know if it isn't safe to do that.

I have a disabled elderly friend who had 2 heaters in one extension and she said she always does that. I interfered and unplugged one of them. Then I almost cause a fire! :(

The plug on the heater should be checked for loose connections... either the screw terminals or the fuse clips. Loose connections cause heat particularly on higher powered loads.

With regards to the use of extension leads... providing the total load does not exceed the maximum load the lead can handle, then it should be fine, but since heaters are typically quite high powered loads I wouldn't use them in a multiway extension with something else. Same goes for your tumble drier because it is a high power load.

It may be safer to get some additional sockets installed in the area so you don't have to use an extension lead.

what's yourlandlord's address. couple of us Scousers would love a trip to oxford with baseball bats in the boot of our recently "acquired" BMW , full tank courtesy of Esso drive off station. :D:D

I don't think you have a very nice landlord! I have a tenant who phoned me yesterday morning to say the shower wasn't working...it's a gravity fed one, with a booster pump. Had to get a new one and fit it...she's entitled to a shower, imho.
£170 for a pump...I am going to take this up with Salamander, as the "old" one was installed only 18 months ago.
Anyway, I digress...
In Scotland, the penalty for failing to lodge the deposit with an approved "scheme" is a fine of up to 3 times the monthly rent. I suspect, as Vortigern posted, you have a similar recourse in England, and you should pursue that regardless of how you resolve the current issue with the socket. Either use that as a threat to the landlord, or just do it afterwards anyway. These people should be punished!

Presuming that the plug is now removed...it is up to the landlord to ensure the installation is safe for the next tennant as he is required to have the place inspected/tested

Hi everyone. The offending plug was removed and I have some photos. If I can figure how to put them up! It was the live pin that was burning it looks like it was touching high heat . Fuse is fine and inside the plug looks ok. The socket is slight burning around the live hole. The neutral pin looks green as if it has been damp but was not like that before. Photos won't load, there was a red error message. I have to hand in the key next week and am tempted to superglue a childproof cover to it!

Reply to Hi from a gran with a dodgy socket. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net