Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Hi guys, new here and could do with some advice in the New Member Introductions area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. John Higgins

John Higgins New EF Member

Hi guys, I've been doing electrical installation level 1 at a college for 5 weeks now. I am whizzing through it and really enjoying it. I have a question though if some of you don't mind honestly asking, even if it sounds harsh.

I have epilepsy and wondering how much that would prevent or limit me in this field of work? I have partial seizures mostly, I had a benign brain tumor on my right temporal lobe removed when I was 16 (2009). It is really rare they go to a generalised grand-mal type.

Thanks guys

2. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    I would say it would have to be based on a risk assessment initially. While I would not reject out of hand your working on an installation there would definitely be areas the risk would be too high. Such as working on live areas, working at height and others no doubt. I think the scope of what you could do would be somewhat limited to dead working and on the ground. I think the insurance implications would be such as to, in many cases rule out many companies taking you on. Sorry if that may sound depressing but that is my take on it. It may be medicine will advance further and give you more surety of safety and control of your condition. But then what is your take on the safety of you and those around you with the risk of a seizure being in view?

• Like Like x 2
  3. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

My older cousin has epilepsy, kept in check with meds.
    Doesn't take fits, he kind of just "switches off" for a minute or two.

The meds he is on allow him to have a driving license, but after a rather heavy drinking session on a rugby tour in Wales, he had an episode and lost his license automatically for 2 years.
    If he stays on the meds, its fine.... but alcohol can stop them working.

As Vort says, there will be limitations placed on you more for insurance purposes than anything else.
    If its controlled, there's no reason you shouldn't be working in the field.
    Its not like your colour blind or anything
    "Is that brown or blue?" …..*bang!*

• Like Like x 1
  4. John Higgins

John Higgins New EF Member

Thanks very much. I've been told the exact same by my tutor really. In a nutshell employers are strict when it comes to that illness for obvious reasons. It is not too late to change course at the college so need a good think about it all now really and honest advice.

I could get my driving license back now but still don't really risk driving. So would definitely not want to fall into a live circuitboard.

What a substitute teacher who is also a joiner sub tutor told me is I would be limited in all trades really. But could maybe work among the lines of drawing wiring and circuit diagrams etc and not really doing any dangerous or much practical.

Again thanks :)

5. Sintra

Sintra The Innkeeper Staff Member

Hi & welcome:)

6. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

Hi bud,welcome and firstly,accept my admiration,for not letting life's foibles interrupt your aspirations:)

There will be situations and positions,where any condition or medication,could affect the risk and liability,to an employer.

These will change,and so,will your condition - but then so do all of our "conditions".

I have friends and associates,who have found themselves in dire circumstances,through either illness or accident,and are now,years later,doing things which bare no correlation to their previous state.

In some instances,unless their plight was witnessed,it would be very difficult to describe to someone else,and be believed.

If my limited medical liability knowledge is correct,it is usually all about putting time between any relapses,and keeping it that way.

Keep up the questions,and you may even help us with some of our un-diagnosed conditions :rolleyes:

7. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

How about going down the Design route. Work in an office doing schematics, BOMs and the like. Not for everyone I know.

• Agree Agree x 1