Discuss Hi, I'm new here, and also a new PA tester :) in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Oh yeah if the brown stuff hit the fan they'd get done for it, probably worse if there weren't a paper trail because they hadn't kept records, but that should be a last resort - the best solution would be if management pulled their finger out and got this stuff fixed, and the threat of written records which mean they can't just look the other way, put their fingers in their ears and deny all knowledge might be the kick up the bottom they need.
In the early days we had a fatal accident on the site . This was just at the onset of H&E.
It was mines and quarries with police presence that conducted the investigation.they missed nothing. No one would want to be a part of that ; believe me , best to do it right.

You make it sound like we have a sentimental attachment to this pillar drill. We have no choice but to use it, the operators have informed management of the issue and they say it's working this way so use it. Until something is well and truly dead nothing will happen and that's why I'm asking for advice if under PAT testing conditions I can force their hand by declaring the pillar drill unsafe and have them replace it or have it repaired.

You have a choice, plain and simple, don't use it.

You have identified that there is a fault, you now need to make the responsible person aware of the fault, and make sure you have solid proof that you have made them aware (ie a copy of the written message you gave them). By noticing this problem and not taking the correct action you are putting liability on yourself.
If the management do nothing, or tell you to carry on using the equipment, then insist on having this instruction in writing, and the go to the HSE with it.

Until something is well and truly dead nothing will happen

What about someone? This could easily result in someone being well and truly dead. And if that does happen then there will be a thorough investigation, so you better be damned sure that you've done everything you can to get this fixed or taken out of service, otherwise you could be joining the management on their way to a manslaughter conviction.

What about someone? This could easily result in someone being well and truly dead. And if that does happen then there will be a thorough investigation, so you better be damned sure that you've done everything you can to get this fixed or taken out of service, otherwise you could be joining the management on their way to a manslaughter conviction.

Absolutely. No messing

Absolutely. No messing

There's two guys currently serving time after an incident in one of the industries I work in, despite there being nothing they could do to change what happened. Which is a little scary thinking that I am in an equivalent position and the exact same could happen to me.

There's two guys currently serving time after an incident in one of the industries I work in, despite there being nothing they could do to change what happened. Which is a little scary thinking that I am in an equivalent position and the exact same could happen to me.
Yes you have to be so careful. It was the same where I was . Production was everything, and downtime a major no no. Any accidents that blame could be passed down the line was the way they worked .
All of our machines usually took no prisoners owing to the size and nature of the work and conditions, anyone who had not stuck to procedures were sacrificed, but they were under pressure to complete tasks and move muck etc.
The top would let it go if nothing happened.

Yes you have to be so careful. It was the same where I was . Production was everything, and downtime a major no no. Any accidents that blame could be passed down the line was the way they worked .
All of our machines usually took no prisoners owing to the size and nature of the work and conditions, anyone who had not stuck to procedures were sacrificed, but they were under pressure to complete tasks and move muck etc.
The top would let it go if nothing happened.

The incident I'm referring to is a bit different.
The unfortunate souls were two members of the fire brigade, who ignored their standing orders to not go in to this particular situation as there were no people in need of rescue and far too much danger from a fire which simply cannot be put out.

The blame landed on the two owners of the company which operates the site, despite them having no control over what the fire brigade do.

You are right , That is scary.
You are in a dangerous industry, It must be nerve racking owing to the nature of your work.

You are right , That is scary.
You are in a dangerous industry, It must be nerve racking owing to the nature of your work.

We've learned from the mistake which started that particular fire!

It's an interesting one certainly, but perhaps not quite as dangerous as it sounds.
What is surprisingly dangerous is the comparison of the fireworks which are sold to the general public and those which only professionals can buy.
I've dismantled and modified a fair few of both (which we are fully licenced and registered to do) and the stuff available to the public isn't exactly well built!

and the stuff available to the public isn't exactly well built!

That is beginning to be a sign of the times now . Even in our industry.

I know lol. I saw a 200 ton excavator steel plates caved in while backing away from the rock face and the blast set off prematurely.

There's nothing worse than a whistling Roman candle!

Aye , one of them came through the roof of the meat wagon (personnel carrier} and landed in the gangway between the lads. It was a miracle no one was hurt. It was an old Bedford 4wd converted ex army lorry. It had a hole in the roof like a shell hole

Reply to Hi, I'm new here, and also a new PA tester :) in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock