• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Hi messed up confused. Changing 3 way switch to 2 way switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi im a noobie. I tried connecting the electric cable to a 2 way switch from 3 way and it didnt work. I only connected 4 wires. There was 6 wires in total. 3 blue and 3 brown. If i connect a terminal to it will it fix it lol. Meaning if i connect the 3 blues and brown on 1 side of terminal and other to the switch

Hi messed up confused. Changing 3 way switch to 2 way switch 20180217_113359 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi messed up confused. Changing 3 way switch to 2 way switch 20180217_113353 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi messed up confused. Changing 3 way switch to 2 way switch 20180217_113414 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi messed up confused. Changing 3 way switch to 2 way switch 20180217_113404 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi messed up confused. Changing 3 way switch to 2 way switch 20180217_113517 - EletriciansForums.net

Hello
1. What exactly is it that you are trying to do
2. If it is just a switch swop, what is that reel of cable for
3. Post a picture of the old wiring before you disconnected anything (you did do this, didn’t you?)

We had spotlights in before and now been removed we have a tube light and them big circle lights. The old wiring was 3 blue in common and the 3 brown in the bottom part think L. Yeh and switch swap from 3 to 2

You should not need any more cable! In anycase, that cable is 2.5mm csa and way too big and unwieldy for lighting applications. Normally we use 1.0mm.

The wires to the switch should be in pairs, blue and brown.
First of all, the two wires that used to go to the switch for the downlights. I hope you know which two they were?
Put those two wires in separate bits of the choc block, to insulate them in case they are still live.

Then you'll have two pairs of brown and blue wires. For each pair.
Put brown in the terminal marked COM and its corresponding blue into thje terminal marked L1.

And as noted above, the eartyh wires need sleeveing in yellow and green sleeve and connecting to the earth terminal on the metal back box.
You should not need to do anything else.

It sounds odd the original switch had three cables (six wires) on a three gang switch as this says to me it was three plate and the blues would not have been connected together. If this was done the modern way of bringing the neutral to the switch then three cables is not enough for a three gang switch, the minimum would have been four.

If i connect that blue to the common and brown to the live 2 way switch. And the 3 brown to the other side of terminal and blue to other side of terminal will it work??

View attachment 40836
3 possibilities....

1. it works.

2. it don't work.

3. it goes bang.

You’re very patient, you members of this forum and especially on a Saturday.
And no one has said IT yet . . . . .

The problem here is we do not know the original set up but I can only guess it was three plate switching because there were only three cables at the switch. Next problem we do not know how you have altered the wiring and whether the this type of switching is still in situ. We can often tell people what wires go where but sometimes as in your case it is not wise for us to guess and even if you manage to get the correct sequence your connections are so poor you are asking for trouble. So I will say it, employ the services of an electrician.

Reply to Hi messed up confused. Changing 3 way switch to 2 way switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back