Discuss Hi New here looking for some information regarding MCS in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deee

Hello This is my first post on here although I have been looking through the forum quite a bit as its a very good resource for microgen information.
Just to clarify I am not a qualified electrician so some dumbing down may be needed.

I am currently starting the MCS process for a heating company that I work for. Although they are going for MCS mainly for heat pumps and solar thermal they are also going to become accredited for solar pv as often the work they tender for has numerous technologies. Although I should stress the company is not making any effort to chase PV work.
As such then all electrical work will be handed out to electrical contractors which is where my questions lead.

If the company sub contracts to electrical contractors am I correct in believing that the sub contractor does not have to be MCS just competent? Bearing in mind all non electric work regarding the install will be conducted by the companies own staff who will of course be competant.

My other query is regarding the documents we will need to hold. Those in question are BS 7671 and G83. Firstly we are doing MCS via Napit and they have asked for us to hold our own copies of these documents. As we will be designing the systems would this then require us to definately hold a copy of both of these? The G83 notifcation documents are available online for free and seem very straight forward to complete. Would it be possible to access these documents through a library for reference? The iet website wants £210 for BS7671 which does seem like a great deal of money when the company wont have a great deal of involvment in the elecrical side of things.

Any advice would be greatly apppreciated.

I think you'll find that your electrical contractor will have to be MCS as well, and you will have to be MCS and be coupled together contractually, been a while since I read the MCS terms and conditions but I'm sure a solar guy will put you straight.

I cannot for the life of me though understand what your going to be actually doing if not also the elctrical side. In heat pumps for instance all your going to be doing is digging a trench, laying pipe, and fitting a manifold. surely would it not pay your company to do all the wrok and employ an electrician?

As for the BS 7671 it can be bought off here

Requirements for Electrical Installations: BS 7671:2008 Incorporating Amendment No 1: 2011: IET Wiring Regulations: Amazon.co.uk: Institution Of Engineering And Technology: 9781849192699: Books

For less that 60 pounds. You after the e version which also carried a few other publications such as the on-site guide the GN3 etc, which is why it is so dear.

Thank you for your reply. It would make more sense if all parties involved were MCS but MCS as I am finding is not like any other guidance documents Ive ever come across before!

I perhaps didnt explain what the company does very well which is most likely why your so perplexed. Generally most work they recieve is via tender and mostly all for new build. So they often win large contracts for the complete plumbing of new build dwellings. However more and more recently have found that renewables are being included and they need to be MCS in order to tender/win/install this work. Hope this makes it a little more clear.

Regarding BS7671 thank you very much for the link. I have to ask though how the price is so high on the IET website who actually publish the document compared to the link you provided me?

I think you'll find that your electrical contractor will have to be MCS as well, and you will have to be MCS and be coupled together contractually, been a while since I read the MCS terms and conditions but I'm sure a solar guy will put you straight.
Not sure myself because I'm Part P anyway, but my thinking was that you could get any Part P installer (subby) do the new circuit up to the AC isolator at the inverter then that would be enough, and the would also need to provide the cert and notify Building Control.

I maybe wrong though!

The above does seem like it could be right. Although I think we would be responsible for notifying building control. I am yet to fully cover this in the documents at the moment.

The Subby would have had to have done the Solar PV course- Think its 2399- they dont have to be MCS registered themselves though however I don't think you would have a lot of trouble finding an MCS one nowadays

Reply to Hi New here looking for some information regarding MCS in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock