Discuss High Electrical Usage.. high? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We’ve moved into a property with Dimplex Quantum storage heaters as no central heating.

After a couple of nights and having an energy monitor setup I’ve noticed the current hourly hourly useage first thing in the morning at approx 6.15 (during economy 7 hours) when I get up is about £1.50. I assume from the days total usage this is the same through the night when the storage heaters are ‘charging’. This seems an extreme amount to me and can’t be right??

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I assume the energy monitor is reasonably accurate as I’ve setup the 2 tariffs and sc on the monitor and in the evening it shows a ‘normal’ level?

Thanks

sounds about right for 3 x 3kw storage heaters on for 7 hours. obviuosly we;d need to know the total wattage and the night time kwH rate to be more accurate.

Thanks, will look at the kWh usage over the weekend and come back with figures

At approx £1.50 per hour x 7 hours that’s about £300 per month just for the heaters.

Does that seem normal for a storage heater setup....and a modern and apparently clever one.

I will add that we are in an old house with little to no wall insulation as it’s listed and can’t be altered so I do expect higher that normal heating bills but perhaps a little shocked if it’s this high.

Sounds about right to me.

Insulate a house first then think about heating. Dimplex are great at sticking a digital LCD display on what is essentially 50+ year old technology. IMHO the only clever thing is getting rid of them as soon as you can.

We had a similar old house several years back, similar set up to yours and our electricity was around the £250 mark per month

Yep thanks, shame as we have to put up with them and planning permission for wall insulation has been denied and the owners won’t put oil fired heating in.

Luckily we have a free supply of wood for 2 stoves and an open fire!!

Hi - yes, with the kWh from the meter it will be easier to understand. At that time I'm guessing the heating is fully powered up. How many heaters do you have (and power) ?

With this day and age would you think some body would come up with better idea on heating houses .
If you are renting have chat with land lord and change the heaters to
Day peak .
The place comes with a job and heaters have just been put in as whole place has been refurbished and I guess they were advised this was the best option with the listed, ‘can’t change much’ situation

Hi - yes, with the kWh from the meter it will be easier to understand. At that time I'm guessing the heating is fully powered up. How many heaters do you have (and power) ?

There are 4 heaters, will have to check power rating later and let you know.

The place comes with a job and heaters have just been put in as whole place has been refurbished and I guess they were advised this was the best option with the listed, ‘can’t change much’ situation
those heaters are great to keep you nice and warm at night ,but when during the day the heating in the house drops off .
Buy your self portable heaters ,and not the oil ones .gel ones .

they do, but about mid afternoon they get cold. stock up on logs and coal.

We’ve moved into a property with Dimplex Quantum storage heaters as no central heating.

After a couple of nights and having an energy monitor setup I’ve noticed the current hourly hourly useage first thing in the morning at approx 6.15 (during economy 7 hours) when I get up is about £1.50. I assume from the days total usage this is the same through the night when the storage heaters are ‘charging’. This seems an extreme amount to me and can’t be right??

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I assume the energy monitor is reasonably accurate as I’ve setup the 2 tariffs and sc on the monitor and in the evening it shows a ‘normal’ level?

Thanks
Have you inquired about either oil fired or propane fired central heating boilers? Obviously you need some outside space to store either fuel, but maybe its worth the initial investment in the long run?

Have you inquired about either oil fired or propane fired central heating boilers? Obviously you need some outside space to store either fuel, but maybe its worth the initial investment in the long run?

Sadly not, they’ve just finished a complete refurb and central heating wasn’t an option. I agree tho in the long run it would be far beneficial for the people that live there...yours truly!

Reply to High Electrical Usage.. high? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock