Discuss High level cabling with long life span in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Doomed

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Replacing some lights on top of front elevation of really tall building, once in 25 years scaffolding job.
At present in MI, but due to roof works this will have to be stripped out.
The new lights are going to be 100W LED units.
The new roofing structure has ducting approx the size of MT3 built in to it and openings are to be made where the lights have to go.
What cable would you use?
Note: this is a marine enviroment
Note 2: I got to the top of the scaffolding and had to wimp out, much to the amusment of my work mates.

Replacing some lights on top of front elevation of really tall building, once in 25 years scaffolding job.
At present in MI, but due to roof works this will have to be stripped out.
The new lights are going to be 100W LED units.
The new roofing structure has ducting approx the size of MT3 built in to it and openings are to be made where the lights have to go.
What cable would you use?
Note: this is a marine enviroment
Note 2: I got to the top of the scaffolding and had to wimp out, much to the amusment of my work mates.
MI

Is it exposed to the light and water.

Re do in MI is best, especially in marine environment. If not, swa.
If any of the cable is open to sunlight or water it could cause problems, so if someone recommends FP, tell 'em where to shove it.

I'm the only one old enough to do MI and I'm NOT going up again :)
Don't talk rubbish, how old are you then? like ipf I was doing MI when I was the same age as him

How high is this scaffold?
Would you feel safer on a cherry picker?

Probable the equivalent of a six story building - yes I'm a wuss - I used to do rock climbing as well!
High level cabling with long life span {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

You can see the existing lights

Probable the equivalent of a six story building - yes I'm a wuss - I used to do rock climbing as well!
High level cabling with long life span {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

You can see the existing lights
Wuss, used to do work like that off of a ladder:eek::oops::confused::tongue: sometime off of a couple of cable drums.

Hi lads,

New member here but just wanted to add my thoughts,

If it's yt3 size trunking so kept hidden from direct sunlight and the elements would flat twin or hi tuff not be acceptable?

I've never done any marine work so dont the know if I'm talking absolute bo**oks

Yplan

One of my first jobs as an apprentice, 3 men, 3 lads on the job was at Leith Docks in Edinburgh, replacing floodlights on the roof.
Access was by a tower scaffold, as high as it could go, then a ladder from the platform onto the roof. Finally another stepladder on the roof, up a 6ft pole to mount the floodlight on top.
Don't tell H&S

This was before I developed shaky leg syndrome... I get that climbing a ladder nowadays.

Nyyj should do fine, trouble is i dont know how long compression glands really last, does salty sea air deteriorate the rubber seals (probably not rubber rubber but you know what i mean)

Reply to High level cabling with long life span in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock