Discuss High mains voltage in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

fletch

The mains voltage in our house is generally around 259 volts.
It never falls below 255v and has been as high as 269v.

Measurements made with 2 different good quality meters.

The house was new 7 years ago.
One spur has been added but no other electrical work.

Could a house wiring fault be the cause (if so what ?)
or is it more likely to be the supply to the house being too high ?

supply should be 230V -6% +10% so between 216V and 253 volts. Check several houses nearby. If the same call your supplier. If it is just your house then weird. Call your supplier.

this sounds strange, it maybe that you are far away from your distribution transformer maybe the end of line

Has to be the supply, nothing in the house circuit could possibly raise the voltage and surely if it was the end of the line from the transformer then the voltage would be lower rather than higher!

Just a thought, do you get exactly the same reading between phase and earth as you do between phase and neutral?

I have had a similiar problem with a domestic property.

I did measure the supply voltages at different times of the day, because during the day the local current demand varies due to people using more equipment/appliances. The voltage i measured never fell below 257 Volts between P & N and P & E. (TNS system)

After a few days I contacted the local supply company, and they told me that the only reason that the supply was so high was because of the demand of the local area. As always they weren't willing to change it because I believe they make their own rules and regs! (my opinion!!)

Reply to High mains voltage in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock