Discuss high r1+r2 on lighting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

daveb

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

Strange one today that i've never seen before - hoping someone else may have seen this...

Wiring an additional outside bulkhead today - couldn't easily get to the last fitting to take a switch wire from there so split the switch wire as close as i could to the fitting and wired in a junction box. Took a spur from the junction box as well as connecting up the other light.

Anyway, came to do the testing and was getting 48 ohms on my R1+R2?? Strange thing is that the loop impedance is fine (1.14 ohms) and the RCD is OK too. There was already an RCD on the circuit before hand.

Has anyone experienced this before? Surely if there was anything untoward then you would expect the earth loop imp to be high?? Im starting to wonder if my tester is playing tricks.

Thanks

i'd be looking at a poor connection of your leads. my MFT (megger 1553) went for calibration and was about to fail. tester said it needed stripping and the internal connections on the 4mm sockets resoldering.

a quick rub with a 3.5mm rethreading tool on the 4mm sockets cured the problem.

Dunno. Whats an SVQ 3? Edit - Ah! A scottich Vocational qual. Blimey, almost ready for the umbilical cord to be cut.......Lol, good old Nicola.

and what's that got to do with this thread?

i'd be looking at a poor connection of your leads. my MFT (megger 1553) went for calibration and was about to fail. tester said it needed stripping and the internal connections on the 4mm sockets resoldering.

It's funny, my tester the other day kept coming up with "CON" when i was trying to do an earth loop imp test. Thought i wasnt jamming it into the terminal block properly but i was. The annoying thing is it

its funny - the other day my multi tester wouldnt allow me to do an earth loop imp test, kept coming up with "CON". I thought i maybe wasnt getting a proper connection into the terminal block but then discovered it was throwing a wobbler. Thing is, it was bought new only back in June which wont give me much confidence in Megger if that is the case! I'll get it booked in tomorrow to see.

If I ever get something like that I try a line/neutral continuity test to see if it the circuit/me/tester.

... Surely if there was anything untoward then you would expect the earth loop imp to be high?? Im starting to wonder if my tester is playing tricks
Yes, something not right the R1 and R2 measurement, as Ze + (R1+R2) is the earth loop impedance(ish). If you used method 1 from GN3 are you sure the temp link went from the correct mcb to the earth bar? Sorry don't mean to be basic, but I'd confirm with another measurement and a lead clean-up as per Tel. Hope that helps :)

Yes, something not right the R1 and R2 measurement, as Ze + (R1+R2) is the earth loop impedance(ish). If you used method 1 from GN3 are you sure the temp link went from the correct mcb to the earth bar? Sorry don't mean to be basic, but I'd confirm with another measurement and a lead clean-up as per Tel. Hope that helps :)
thanks Wilko - yes, i performed the test twice to make sure.

It's funny, my tester the other day kept coming up with "CON" when i was trying to do an earth loop imp test. Thought i wasnt jamming it into the terminal block properly but i was. The annoying thing is it

its funny - the other day my multi tester wouldnt allow me to do an earth loop imp test, kept coming up with "CON". I thought i maybe wasnt getting a proper connection into the terminal block but then discovered it was throwing a wobbler. Thing is, it was bought new only back in June which wont give me much confidence in Megger if that is the case! I'll get it booked in tomorrow to see.
In my experience with the Meggars, CON shows up when you are trying to take a loop impedance using two leads, when the set tester is set to three leads. I don't know if you have the same module though, mines a MFT1721

this one of yours, Des.?

high r1+r2 on lighting circuit {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

What result do you get if you test with the clips shorted together?

Reply to high r1+r2 on lighting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock