Discuss High r1, rn, r2 etc on ring final. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Marcus Vaughan

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi All.

I had a job which was going to be a 'quicky' fault finding and repairing a couple of sockets, then it came to the testing.....

The consumer unit gave me no cause for alarm but was all labelled up wrong, so it turned out there were far more sockets and square meterage on this ring final than I first thought.

So I get, on end to end continuity (2.5/1.5 T&E)
r1=1.41 ohms, rn=1.43 ohms, r2=2.38 ohms. Then from that fig 8 test a range of R1+R2 from 1.53 to 2.61 ohms.

Way too high. Nulled the leads (again). Checked again...

If it was just one of those end to end readings that was too high, I would set about looking for a high resistance connection, but as the r1 is so similar to rn and the r2 is about right too - it seems unlikely that there is a high resistance joint in all three?

If I reverse input those readings to get a estimated cable length it comes out at around 190 metres!

The house is not particularly old - about 10 years I think. The floor area of the circuit is round about the 100 square metre mark, maybe more, and includes ground floor and first floor rooms - so the cable length could well be pretty high. On the limits at guess - but not way over as I have found.

Splitting this all down would be no easy task, and I've been told the wiring was 'inspected' three years ago during a change of ownership. So I'm looking to avoid the disruption, if possible. If anyone has any advice or ideas I'd certainly appreciate it - big time.

Are there any factors which might have given me misleading high readings?

If you were using a plug in tester for the figure of 8 then dirty contacts can do exactly what you describe.

Have you allowed for spurs?

What were the actual Zs readings like?

Hi Stantheman. I had just used the wander lead. Pretty sure I 're-nulled' though.

Dirty contacts - possible. Some of the sockets are past their best.

Live Zs was coming in at just over 1.1 ohms on a few 'DIY' spurs.

Thanks for prompt responses - I'll be back there on Thursdayto try and resolve what's going on. It's good to be armed with ideas....

As long as Zs readings are acceptable I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. As long as you are sure your continuity readings are correct just note it on your MW.
There's a site I work at wired about 10 years ago where all the power circuits are 4.0 32a radials on RCBO's, Zs is invariably higher than that f0r the OCPD on the longer runs.....I just note that the RCD element of the device meets the disconnection time. It's poor initial design, but as long as there are no issues with the use of the circuit or fault protection just accept it and crack on.

As long as Zs readings are acceptable I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
I'm not sure I'd agree. I think it would definitely need to be established why such readings were being obtained. It doesn't seem entirely credible that the circuit is indeed that length (but who knows?).

Hi All. Thanks for responses. I have spent the morning changing a few accessories - including 3 sockets and a FCU. The readings are coming down - it an still getting various Ze of between 0.56 and 1.26 ohms. In fact there is a group that is compliant then a step change to a group that are not. I'm starting to think a kitchen extension is to blame? Interconnections? Now to retest properly from the board.

Well - I returned. Found even more sockets on the ring. Mapped it out. Used IR test to confirm everything disconnected. r1, rn, r2 all still high (the same as before). Tested back and front of sockets and swapped a few out there were a little 'resistive'.
All new R1+R2 readings - very uniform but at 0.89 ohms give or take 0.05 for those on the ring (couple of spurs a teeny but more). Add a 0.3 Ze on a 32 amp type B.......

It's non-compliant. I think the house was at close to maximum upon design. Add an extension, add some electric velox windows, add this, add that...

Now trying to come up with a solution that won't destroy the place...

I'm still not sure whether the effort is justified, unless I missed it what's the Zs? Are disconnection times met?
It's an existing circuit that may not be compliant but is unlikely to cause a problem based on information given. I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill

Edit...just noted you've stated 1.1 ohms on spurs? Within required max for the OCPD. I cant see the point in it.

Max Zs is 1.29 ohms on a B32. Correct for temperature I usually work to 1.10. So no - disconnection times not met.

Mountain out of a mole hill? I thought disconnection times were there for a reason - I mean how do I write it up. Is it not in -unsafe condition?

I assume it's on an RCD? Bs 7671 permits an RCD to take care of earth fault protection on a TN system, in which case your max Zs becomes 1667 ohms. I'm not saying that would be usual practice, but this is a circuit only marginally over required criteria. I just cant see the point in major disruption and expense for a circuit like this. Alternatively loadings permitting, stick it on a 20a OCPD

Max Zs is 1.29 ohms on a B32. Correct for temperature I usually work to 1.10. So no - disconnection times not met.

Mountain out of a mole hill? I thought disconnection times were there for a reason - I mean how do I write it up. Is it not in -unsafe condition?
I assume it's on an RCD? Bs 7671 permits an RCD to take care of earth fault protection on a TN system, in which case your max Zs becomes 1667 ohms. I'm not saying that would be usual practice, but this is a circuit only marginally over required criteria. I just cant see the point in major disruption and expense for a circuit like this. Alternatively loadings permitting, stick it on a 20a OCPD[/QUOTE

It's up to you to determine whether it's safe, your name on the form, I'm just saying what I'd do. Regarding the 30/32a device for a ring final, if you feel the load is OK for a 20a then put it on the form as a departure and justify it with the reason you've given that it is a poorly designed circuit and reducing the OCPD rating is making it safer.
Personally I'd list the high circuit readings on the form with explanation, leave it on a 32a and state that the RCD is meeting disconnection times and that I consider the circuit poorly designed but safe for continued use.

Reply to High r1, rn, r2 etc on ring final. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock