Discuss High Ze on PME question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Come across this on instagram this morning.
Any thoughts? Dont have much experience of generators myself,
In terms of this question my thoughts were additonal or secondary supply source with a rod skewing readings? Not sure though. Would somebody with experience of generators explain?

High Ze on PME question 2018_12_22_09.30.20 - EletriciansForums.net

Says PME then says generator?

What size generator and type?

You would normally expect a lot less if it is directly generator fed

It could be something to like a generator through a transformer/ inverter

Or floating n in generator

I think the op is saying mains installation is pme

That is the problem with back up generators people fit them and do not cheak readings and results ensuring breakers / switchgear would be suitable when on back up

Dont know more than in that instagram post shown in image. It confused me, hence why i put it on here for peopme to mull over.
I read it as pme supply but the generator on site some how connected to same system?

I imagine the standby generator has its own local electrode and the CPC of the installation is connected both to the DNO's PME and to the generator's electrode (plus bonding to any other conductive parts in between such as the changeover switch cabinet, generator casing and armouring of the SWA between the genset and the c/o switch.)

Is the 1.96Ω reading a Ze of just the DNO supply with all parallel paths removed, is it the DNO supply plus the standby set with the complete earthing arrangement, minus other parallel paths?

You can't have the generator earthing arrangement connected to the DNO supply because an internal fault when running on the generator may direct voltage back to the DNO supply on which someone may be working.
Therefore I would expect a changeover switch has been operated to take power from the generator and the Earth resistance for the generator earthing is 1.96Ω.
The PME supply is cut off by the changeover switch.

You can't have the generator earthing arrangement connected to the DNO supply because an internal fault when running on the generator may direct voltage back to the DNO supply on which someone may be working.

Understood, @Richard Burns So is my understanding correct as below, on the basis the changeover switch only switches the two or four live conductors (depending on whether single or three phase) and not the CPC:
  • Generator enclosure & SWA = TT
  • The installation always utilises the DNO's PME at all times, irrespective of position of the c/o switch
  • The changeover switch cabinet should be bonded to the PME, as this earth will be of lesser resistance
  • The SWA armouring from the generator to the c/o switch should only be terminated at the supply end and specifically NOT terminated at the c/o cabinet inlet, to ensure separation of the local and DNO earthing paths

The earth fault loop path for whichever supply is being used, must be complete.
When the DNO supply is in use, the generator supply becomes an extraneous conductive-part, and as such requires bonding to the DNO supply earth.
The only acceptable method to divorce the two supply earths is to use a changeover switch which will disconnect the DNO earth at the same time as the live conductors.

The earth fault loop path for whichever supply is being used, must be complete.
When the DNO supply is in use, the generator supply becomes an extraneous conductive-part, and as such requires bonding to the DNO supply earth.
That was my original understanding, however I do understand Richard's scenario, which is essentially the reverse of the often discussed issue of exporting a PME earth outside its equipotential zone and the difference in potential between the exported earth and mother earth, under a fault condition on the DNO side. In this case, the issue is a fault on the client side at the generator, with the DNO operative subject to the rise in potential at the DNO end of the PME.

The only acceptable method to divorce the two supply earths is to use a changeover switch which will disconnect the DNO earth at the same time as the live conductors.
Most changeover switches, certainly all those that I've seen, only switch live conductors. I understand you could use switch the supply earths, however this doesn't overcome the extraneous aspect.

Most generator set ups I’ve been involved with that weren’t automatic had the earth permanently connected with a link on the earth bar that had to be removed when switching the generator over.

Not sure about AMF as I’ve never really worked on them.

Understood, @Richard Burns So is my understanding correct as below, on the basis the changeover switch only switches the two or four live conductors (depending on whether single or three phase) and not the CPC:
  • Generator enclosure & SWA = TT
  • The installation always utilises the DNO's PME at all times, irrespective of position of the c/o switch
  • The changeover switch cabinet should be bonded to the PME, as this earth will be of lesser resistance
  • The SWA armouring from the generator to the c/o switch should only be terminated at the supply end and specifically NOT terminated at the c/o cabinet inlet, to ensure separation of the local and DNO earthing paths
I am thinking that you could for example have something like the below diagram.
When the TNCS supply stops the changeover switch is operated, the earth link removed and the generator started.
When the TNCS supply is restored the generator is stopped, the earth link replaced and the changeover switch operated.

When running from the DNO supply the generator earth is bonded as an extraneous conductive part to the supply earth by the generator earthing conductor.
When running from the generator the link is removed so the Line, Neutral and Earth from the DNO supply are isolated from the installation.
High Ze on PME question TNCS supply with alternative generator - EletriciansForums.net
As I was drawing this I have realised that the alternative solution to the question in the OP is that the earth link has been removed from the installation even though the DNO supply is still connected leaving the installation as a TT system. Assuming the protection for the installation is correctly set up to be suitable for either supply this should not cause danger to the installation but would be a less effective means of protection than to use the DNO supply earthing.

I am thinking that you could for example have something like the below diagram.
When the TNCS supply stops the changeover switch is operated, the earth link removed and the generator started.
When the TNCS supply is restored the generator is stopped, the earth link replaced and the changeover switch operated.

When running from the DNO supply the generator earth is bonded as an extraneous conductive part to the supply earth by the generator earthing conductor.
When running from the generator the link is removed so the Line, Neutral and Earth from the DNO supply are isolated from the installation.
View attachment 46636
As I was drawing this I have realised that the alternative solution to the question in the OP is that the earth link has been removed from the installation even though the DNO supply is still connected leaving the installation as a TT system. Assuming the protection for the installation is correctly set up to be suitable for either supply this should not cause danger to the installation but would be a less effective means of protection than to use the DNO supply earthing.
In such a scenario, I would expect the EFLI to be lower via the generator than via the DNO supply.
Only ways I would see the EFLI being higher, is if there is no Neutral/Earth link at the generator and earth rods were installed, or if a Neutral/Earth resistor was installed.

I'm also thinking that the DNO MET link is open. If it's a serious generator installation, it might have a decent earth grid or there might be extraneous conductive parts in contact with the genny (pipework etc) that are still in parallel, i.e. it's not a true Ze while the genny is connected. As stated, this would be running as TN-S on the genny but a sneaky TT on the DNO supply.

Reply to High Ze on PME question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock