• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss High ze readings. Even higher zs? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bsharp

-
Reaction score
testing a TNS installation today, found a high incoming ze of 1.14ohms, in my head putbthis down to incoming earth issue as all terminations tight, but when I test any subsequent circuit I’m getting much greater zs readings approx 4.0 ohms. I was expecting high earth loops as my incomer was high but not this great, it does seem lower when linking out rcds and using two lead test, but using three leads I’m getting these high result?? Has anybody had similar or have any suggestions. The DNO have been informed so I’ll see what happens.
Any advice appreciated.
Cheers.

try your tester at home (hopefully you should know what readings you should get). tester may be playing up. my 1553 was earlier this year. was just a dirty 4mm socket. a quick rub with a 3.5mm re-threader sorted.

Three lead test will often give higher results as it has a lower output to avoid tripping.

Hi yer measured external loop which is high at 1.14 ohms, but with an R1+R2 on ring of 0.35 wouldn’t expect a ZS of nearly 4.0 ohms. I have a very similar impedance on all circuits 3.8-4.0.
DNO have been out and are going to fit a front end RCD as they agree the ZE is high, but I’m sill confused as to the very high ZS.

Yes I've had this the other day, the ze at origin was 0.44ohms tested on hi setting (I tested it on lo no trip and got 1.90ohms) so then doing zs at lighting circuit I got 4.6ohms (rcbo) I then did a r1r2 test and got 2.90ohms. In my experience where ze at origin is high, it has a knock on effect with zs (particularly small cable sizes and testing through rcbos)

Using a three lead Zs test on a poor earth connection will give high results.

Carrying out these tests is a little pointless whilst the incoming earth is in poor condition, it will give you a rough idea of whether the circuit is ok or not, but until the external earth is fixed you can't rely on the Zs readings to assess full compliance or complete a schedule of test results.

However 1.14ohms is very high for TNS and the DNOs Earth sheath has failed at some point, what is their cable type? Is it the old paper lead type?

Yes I agree with the knock on effect small cable diameters, Rcbos etc.
Yes correct it is a lead sheathed paper insulation cable.
It looks like the DNO have decided not to investigate further and are just fitting an RCD whereas the fault will almost definitely be a cracked/snapped lead sheath. which as Davesparks says makes the completion of the test certification in some ways a slightly pointless exercise, which is pretty annoying as the job was going to be for our annual inspection as it’s one the few available and within the “40 min radius” typical!! Best laid plans and all that.

I'm sure there's maximum limit for TNS, can't remember off the top of my head but I would think 1.14ohms is well over

Their explanation as is normal with the DNO in my experience is either a damaged joint to the property or a damaged joint further down which could mean entire street etc. With ZE’s which don’t comply but there only course of action is an RCD which is pointless as consumers circuits are all rcd protected anyway (17th edition board) so disconnection times achieved by RCd, but as you say doesn’t resolve the supply earth issue.

Their explanation as is normal with the DNO in my experience is either a damaged joint to the property or a damaged joint further down which could mean entire street etc. With ZE’s which don’t comply but there only course of action is an RCD which is pointless as consumers circuits are all rcd protected anyway (17th edition board) so disconnection times achieved by RCd, but as you say doesn’t resolve the supply earth issue.

DNO have supplied the earth. it's their duty to maintain it. kick up a fuss. don'tbe fobbed off by some tart who doesn't know a TN-S from her arse. demand to speak to the duty engineer.

No line-neutral test, but I was thinking maybe a neutral fault or neutral-Earth fault because as I said with rcds linked out so I am able to use a two lead test (no connection to neutral) the zs is pretty close to calculated zs+(r1+r2) whereas when using three lead test on final circuits the results are greatly higher I.e
Ze -1.14 (high but damaged Sheath/earth would explain)
R1+r2 0.35 ohms
Calculated zs 1.49 ohms
Zs (two lead test) 1.61 ohms
Zs (three lead test) 4.0 ohms
I appreciate the three lead (trip lock/soft test) would exentuate the fault but seems a vast difference to me.

Reply to High ze readings. Even higher zs? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back