Discuss High Zs on lighting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Maxstone89

Hi all

I have a house where all the circuits meet the Max Zs for that circuit yet the lighting circuit is testing as 747 ohms Zs

It looks like it used to be a TT system and been converted to a TN-C-S system. As its also got an main tcd before the board. Could this somehow be causing this high reading, even though the lighting circuit is connected to the main pme where all other circuits are or is their other possibilities.

Thanks max

What are the dead test continuity results for this lighting circuit? These readings will help determine why you have a high Zs.

Ran out of time, so gotta go back to sort other problems out so i am going to dead tests then, any ideas to give me a heads up.

Would be appreciated

Regards Kurtis Randle

Hi all

I have a house where all the circuits meet the Max Zs for that circuit yet the lighting circuit is testing as 747 ohms Zs

It looks like it used to be a TT system and been converted to a TN-C-S system. As its also got an main tcd before the board. Could this somehow be causing this high reading, even though the lighting circuit is connected to the main pme where all other circuits are or is their other possibilities.

Thanks max

Ran out of time, so gotta go back to sort other problems out so i am going to dead tests then, any ideas to give me a heads up.

Would be appreciated

Regards Kurtis Randle

Ok mate let's start with who you are. Post #1 you're called max and post #3 you're Kurtis Randle. View Profile: Kurtis.Randle@m - Electricians Forum | Electrical Advice Forum | An electrical forum for electricians in the UK This leads me to believe you have opened a duplicate which is against forum rules. Let me know which name you want to use and I will merge the 2 accounts.

I was wondering if it had a earth. So I Google how to measure Zs without an earth, found a chat on ITE talking how...

John Peckham
"I think you can get a special meter for measuring Zs on a circuit without a CPC. I have not seen one of these meters and I do not know how they work however I have seen Zs readings on PIRs for circuits without a CPC! "

Last edited by a moderator:
this special meter he refers to is "make it up. client only wants a satisfactory report for £50."

a R2 from CU to each point would help. easiest way is to go to each switch for starters.

this special meter he refers to is "make it up. client only wants a satisfactory report for £50."

Maybe cash to be made there... Just a circuit with a timer to get a random number for Zs that is under what you need.
We could stick to probs on to make it look goos and a test button to set the random figure off

Will be going back if customer will pay, but if he wont would any of you guys class this as unsatisfactory on a eicr even if there is an rcd protecting the full board?

If their was no rcd i wouldn't pass it but as there is and the result is below 1660ohms for a 30ma rcd cant remember exact figure would you pass it and add a note of recommendation?

If you have 747Ω as the resistance of a domestic circuit then there is something very wrong, this is equivalent to a 60W light bulb connected through the cpc.
Even though it does meet the 1667Ω requirement for a 30mA RCD it is very likely that you have a very poor / corroded connection somewhere (or a major wiring error) and that this will get worse over time.
There is no sensible way this can be a result from a satisfactory circuit.
The fault needs to be identified and resolved.
However if the customer does not want to do it then you do have to leave it, but I would recommend putting an advisory of a faulty circuit in writing.

I would guess.the problem is, did you measure some thing wrong and it looking daft on you

Maybe do.it for free to make sure you didn't cook up
If you did cook up some way it would look like your trying to con the person

If you have 747Ω as the resistance of a domestic circuit then there is something very wrong, this is equivalent to a 60W light bulb connected through the cpc.
Even though it does meet the 1667Ω requirement for a 30mA RCD it is very likely that you have a very poor / corroded connection somewhere (or a major wiring error) and that this will get worse over time.
There is no sensible way this can be a result from a satisfactory circuit.
The fault needs to be identified and resolved.
However if the customer does not want to do it then you do have to leave it, but I would recommend putting an advisory of a faulty circuit in writing.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess.the problem is, did you measure some thing wrong and it looking daft on you

Maybe do.it for free to make sure you didn't cook up
If you did cook up some way it would look like your trying to con the person

Whats with the sarcastic remarks.
Please do not comment if its gonna be sarcasm.

Whats with the sarcastic remarks.
Please do not comment if its gonna be sarcasm.

I think Duane was just thinking out aloud there and was not trying to be sarcy... He was just saying are you 100% that the test result is the correct one given all others are OK. We all makes mistakes from time to time after all. I can see Duane's point that if it was a mistake then it could look like you were creating work.

Reply to High Zs on lighting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock