Discuss High zs on RCD's. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

dlt27

-
Reaction score
Hi all. I carried out an EICR yesterday. It was a BG split load consumer unit and when testing I noticed the zs values were coming out high.
I noticed on the 1 rcd there was 0.50 Ohms difference between feed and load side of rcd and on rcd 2 there was 0.60 Ohms difference. Just wondered if anybody else had found this and also does anybody think it needs further investigation. I know the zs doesn't really matter because the rcd Will still trip at 1667 ohms. However just wondered what everybody else thought because I've never come across it before. Thanks

I would contact the manufacturer and ask. Personally I would be concerned, but the manufacturer may have a reason.

Edit: Ignore this and go with the comments below!

Last edited:
Exactly as Spin has stated, bridge them out if your that worried. So long as the RCD's test out correctly on RCD testing, you shouldn't have anything to worry about....

Very rarely come across an RCD protected circuit with a true loop impedance reading. Agreement with the above comments.

Rcd's love to add impedance to true Zs values that in reality don't really exist.
Remember your tester is an electronic device just like the Rcd's.
There like a married couple always contradicting each other.
The tester has a no trip function, the Rcd contributes to this with capacitance back emf's and all those other thingy ma gigs.
If extreme, it may even throw up a noisy circuit fault code on yer tester.
Take it out of circuit and replace with an mcb for test purposes and take a true Zs value and you will see a difference.
That with your R1/R2 reading and tripp times will confirm compliance.

Hi all. I carried out an EICR yesterday. It was a BG split load consumer unit and when testing I noticed the zs values were coming out high.
I noticed on the 1 rcd there was 0.50 Ohms difference between feed and load side of rcd and on rcd 2 there was 0.60 Ohms difference. Just wondered if anybody else had found this and also does anybody think it needs further investigation. I know the zs doesn't really matter because the rcd Will still trip at 1667 ohms. However just wondered what everybody else thought because I've never come across it before. Thanks

I often note the impedance that has been added by RCD on my EIC / MW and always do if it takes the Zs beyond maximum satisfactory disconnection by MCB protected by it.

Some manufacturers' earth fault loop impedance testers ("MFTs") are more susceptible to this than others. Some call it "RCD uplift". It can be up to an ohm in some cases.

to go to the extreme, i had BG comdemn an installation as he read out of limit Zs. my 1553 confirmed a Zs at sockets of 351 ohms. testing across L busbar and E in the CU gave 349 ohms. Ze on the upfront RCD incoming L and E was 0.2 ohms.

Reply to High zs on RCD's. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net