• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss High Zs value with 2 sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TheCodboy

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, Doing some pre board change testing and ive found 2 sockets with high Zs readings. Everything else is fine, done all my end to ends and the Zs's are what should be expected. A couple of the sockets have Zs lower than expected but 2 are higher. They should be about 0.8 ohms but ive got one at 1.20 and one at 1.40. Taken the highest value socket off, re terminated, still high. Tested at the terminals of the socket just in case the socket was duff, but still high. Its a PME system with a good low ZE (0.15). Any thoughts people??

Hi all, Doing some pre board change testing and ive found 2 sockets with high Zs readings. Everything else is fine, done all my end to ends and the Zs's are what should be expected. A couple of the sockets have Zs lower than expected but 2 are higher. They should be about 0.8 ohms but ive got one at 1.20 and one at 1.40. Taken the highest value socket off, re terminated, still high. Tested at the terminals of the socket just in case the socket was duff, but still high. Its a PME system with a good low ZE (0.15). Any thoughts people??
Are the sockets in question spurs?

Did you test between line and neutral as well. Have you confirmed they are not spurred.

The property is a bungalow with the cable drops coming in from the loft. The socket with the highest value has the ring coming in from above, and the cable looks to be original.

I had a job this week, where I removed some diy work on what I thought was an RFC in an existing extension. Well I thought it was an RFC, but in fact it was fed via a spur from another RFC.

how many cables was at this socket ? you posted you had done end to end at consumer unit (assumed) what about r1 + r2
The socket with the highest reading had 2 x 2.5 T&E. Took L-L, N-N, E-E reading at the consumer unit. r1 + r2/4 + Ze = 0.82 Ze was measured at 0.14. The calculated Zs of 0.82 was very near what i was getting all around the ring. 2 sockets were a bit lower (0.45 & 0.55) and apart from the 2 that were high, the rest were virtually spot on. ( My end to end values were L=0.92 N=0.92 E=1.83)

Reply to High Zs value with 2 sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back