Discuss High Zs values (Just) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

not often. last time was a 16mm T/E running @ 100A. it reached 40 deg.C. after 30 minutes when the 63A MCB tripped. that's the sheath temp, conductors probably a bit warmer.

Exactly, not often, hardly a good sample size to make a conclusion about every cable in every installation in the country.
I have often come across cables that are worryingly hot during normal service. Though I have not actually measured the temperature of many some have been too hot to touch. I'd say (depending on the install) temperature is a very serious factor to consider when doing an install.

Exactly, not often, hardly a good sample size to make a conclusion about every cable in every installation in the country.
i agree, mainly in industrial situations, but generally, cables are underrated by the BS7671 to err on the side of safety, espin the domestic sector where cables are rarely pushed anywhere near their rated capability.

Not all non-compliances with current 7671 will attract a code 2. For example the recommended code for a cable buried at <50mm deep without RCD protection and compliant with recent previous editions of 7671 is a code 3.

Compliance with previous editions, recent or not, does not affect the code given.
The code given is in accordance with the current edition.
The post you have quoted clearly states that codes are allocated according to the current edition of 7671, I have not suggested otherwise.
But my interpretation of a code 3 issue is one that does not comply with current 7671 but in the opinion of the inspector does not compromise the overall safety of the installation. I'm still waiting for Essex to explain his interpretation to me.
We are also advised that when carrying out an EICR consideration must be given to the fact that an installation complied with Bs7671 at the time it was installed. For example for an installation wired in the last (say) 20 yrs, lack of RCD protection to socket outlets not likely to supply equipment outdoors would attract a code 3, not a code 2.
I am still not persuaded that a zs reading which was compliant 3 years ago is now potentially dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
It clearly isn't dangerous and i am at a loss understanding the need to introduce it, there is obviously a downside as cabling and distribution costs will obviously rise, breakers will be much more on the limit of the load and may cause nuisance tripping, so balance this against an install that might only have 220V and simultaneously have a short cct fault. Since i have never measured this voltage on any of the commercial and industrial installation for the last 10 years, i am at a loss to why this obviously costly reg was introduced.

The post you have quoted clearly states that codes are allocated according to the current edition of 7671, I have not suggested otherwise.
But my interpretation of a code 3 issue is one that does not comply with current 7671 but in the opinion of the inspector does not compromise the overall safety of the installation. I'm still waiting for Essex to explain his interpretation to me.
We are also advised that when carrying out an EICR consideration must be given to the fact that an installation complied with Bs7671 at the time it was installed. For example for an installation wired in the last (say) 20 yrs, lack of RCD protection to socket outlets not likely to supply equipment outdoors would attract a code 3, not a code 2.
I am still not persuaded that a zs reading which was compliant 3 years ago is now potentially dangerous.

It is really very simple. A c3 is an issue that is not dangerous if left but could be improved using the current Edition of 7671 as a guide.

So anything that is not done to 7671 but is not classed a C1 or a C2 would be a C3.

Who advises that we should consider whether something complied with the regulations at the time of installation? That is not in bs7671, what is stated in bs7671 is that something installed in compliance with a previous edition but which does not comply now is not necessarily unsafe. Good examples of this are the change in wiring colours or the changes to the wording of labels.

Of those socket outlets now require RCD protection then they should be coded accordingly, the code does not change based on the date of installation.

It is not the case that a Zs reading which complied 3 years ago has suddenly become dangerous, the danger was there 3 years ago but we were not aware of it.

Since i have never measured this voltage on any of the commercial and industrial installation for the last 10 years, i am at a loss to why this obviously costly reg was introduced.

Do you have a written log of every voltage measurement you have made to back this up? And were those measurements taken as instantaneous values or based on logged data over long periods?

Personally I don’t remember ever having measured a voltage below 230V but I have seen it dip on the graphs from data logs though I couldn’t put a numerical value to those dips.

I don’t think you can use the 3 year date as an excuse really, as in 10 years time it could be in the same state but you can’t say that 13 years ago the zs values complied with an earlier edition of the wiring regulations and not code it as potentially dangerous in my opinion if the stated Zs values ultimately leading to the maximum disconnection times aren’t met.

Do you have a written log of every voltage measurement you have made to back this up? And were those measurements taken as instantaneous values or based on logged data over long periods?

Personally I don’t remember ever having measured a voltage below 230V but I have seen it dip on the graphs from data logs though I couldn’t put a numerical value to those dips.
I dont really need to backup anything, i am stating what i have witnessed, take it or leave it.. on my tester for every loop test i see the voltage and i always clock it in my head to have a guess at the PSSC which i test next, just for a bit of fun. So these are instantaneous, i am more likely to see voltages in excess of 240 than less than 230.
I am talking about 1000s and 1000s of readings over a long period. Where i have logged which is comm and ind, voltage did not move much that i remember

Who advises that we should consider whether something complied with the regulations at the time of installation? That is not in bs7671, what is stated in bs7671 is that something installed in compliance with a previous edition but which does not comply now is not necessarily unsafe. Good examples of this are the change in wiring colours or the changes to the wording of labels.

Of those socket outlets now require RCD protection then they should be coded accordingly, the code does not change based on the date of installation.

It is not the case that a Zs reading which complied 3 years ago has suddenly become dangerous, the danger was there 3 years ago but we were not aware of it.
I dont think the last bit is quite accurate. The danger is not actually there at all and quite frankly its pretty obvious and basic physics that if you lower the voltage disconnection times will increase. Breakers have been designed and now THOSE breakers cannot work correctly at reduced voltages. The manufacturers should change the breaker standards and introduce them over time so as not to cost the whole industry needless money by using thicker cables and more DBs, its total *ollocks / rant off

I am loathe to tag your post with a 'disagree'......but I disagree.
Probably no right or wrong on coding here, down to interpretation, and mines different to yours.

Why are you so against applying a Code which states fault protection, according to current requirements is not complied with.

If you take a 32A type B circuit breaker the max Zs under 15th was 1.50 under the 16th the voltage was based upon 230V and was 1.44 now with Cmin reduced further to 1.37 the reduction being 0.13 ohms you can see how this has come about.
It was 1.44 under the 17th as well. Seems like a money making exercise to try and justify buying the amendment 3 books. Now we're expected to fork out again. It's become a joke, a bad one.

Reply to High Zs values (Just) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net