Discuss Higher Education (HNC/HND) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All, new to the forum.

My names Kris, I'm 29 years old and i'm a fully qualified Electrician, including City & Guilds Level 4 Design & Verification.

I really want to further my knowledge and after some research the only route left, I can see that is left to take whilst working at the same time, would be a HND in Electrical Engineering, then possibly onto Batchelors then Masters. It would have to be Distance Learning.

Could anyone advise wether this is a worth while thing to do considering the commitment it is and wether there is anything I should be taking into consideration before I start. I love the idea of becoming an engineer but want to make sure it's the right direction.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated as I have been asking around in lots of different places but can't seem to get any down to earth advice about it all.

it's a good progression from where you are now, but bear in mind that with HND etc., you'll be more likely to be offered desk jobs unless you are lucky and can find a proper engineering job.

it's a good progression from where you are now, but bear in mind that with HND etc., you'll be more likely to be offered desk jobs unless you are lucky and can find a proper engineering job.
Hi telectrix, thanks for your reply. Well to be honest I'm happy where I work at the moment being on site being part of the construction and supervising but this is more 'future proofing' if you will. Get some higher education while I'm still young... ish and then perhaps in the future when I want to pack the tools up i can possibly have the option to go into a more office based job.

Hi telectrix, thanks for your reply. Well to be honest I'm happy where I work at the moment being on site being part of the construction and supervising but this is more 'future proofing' if you will. Get some higher education while I'm still young... ish and then perhaps in the future when I want to pack the tools up i can possibly have the option to go into a more office based job.
yep. @27 you have come far, young skywalker. now is the time to progress your Jedi skills.

Thanks for the replies, been mulling this over for a few months now but think it's probably time to bite the bullet and just get on with it. Found a site online that seems quite reputable, registered with IET, that will do the whole HNC/HND for £6,600, as oppose to £11,464+ at the Open University. At least then if all goes well I can transfer them over to the OU to top up to a Batchelors Degree, be an awful lot cheaper.

I think it's Always worth getting higher qualifications if you have the commitment to do it. If you don't, chances are you will regret it at some point. Good luck.

Worth doing , I know a few lads that have done it and landed great jobs with network rail , utility companies
Good salarys , pensions , for a lot less hours too
Sure you'd never look back

hi everyone am a new member on this forum i am doing my hnc in elec/elec engin i have take 3 years out while my became a social worker. But on returning to do my hnd i have found my subject are all ok except my maths we are doing laplas to the second darivate. And i am understanding about half of it i would realy appreciate if any one could give me a hand.plz

Hi All, new to the forum.

My names Kris, I'm 29 years old and i'm a fully qualified Electrician, including City & Guilds Level 4 Design & Verification.

I really want to further my knowledge and after some research the only route left, I can see that is left to take whilst working at the same time, would be a HND in Electrical Engineering, then possibly onto Batchelors then Masters. It would have to be Distance Learning.

Could anyone advise wether this is a worth while thing to do considering the commitment it is and wether there is anything I should be taking into consideration before I start. I love the idea of becoming an engineer but want to make sure it's the right direction.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated as I have been asking around in lots of different places but can't seem to get any down to earth advice about it all.

hi kris am a new member on this forum i am doing my hnd in elec/elec engin now but i have take 3 years out while my became a social worker. But on returning to do my hnd i have found my subject are all ok except my maths we are doing laplas to the second darivate. And i am understanding about half of it i would realy appreciate if any one could give me a hand.plz

Good luck with hnc/hnd. Definitely worth doing if you want to get of the tools at some point and as already been said there are really good jobs out there.
I tried to do that route but got to admit I gave up after one day and meeting the maths lecturer. Should of guessed I was in trouble when he said if you've done A level maths you SHOULD be ok. The he put some kind of algebra sum in the board looking more like a English essay, a+b-+a(x-+d) and so on.
Sat there a little perplexed as he ran through the answer and said this was a basic sum to see how much we all knew and as course goes on the answers would take 3 or 4 pages.

Reply to Higher Education (HNC/HND) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net