Discuss Highest paying specialty? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Unless you are employing a number of people £100k a year is unrealistic as a SE 'one man band', unless you can really find that niche speciality that we all search for but then again £100k when you are 40 may equate to about £45k in todays terms!

I think you have to be realistic...I've been in the industry for 40 years and earn well under £15000.oo per year..if you're after the sort of money you state may i respectfully suggest that being a sparks is not what you should be considering....try becoming a member of parliament..they seem to get a good screw for minimum qualifications.

I think you have to be realistic...I've been in the industry for 40 years and earn well under £15000.oo per year..if you're after the sort of money you state may i respectfully suggest that being a sparks is not what you should be considering....try becoming a member of parliament..they seem to get a good screw for minimum qualifications.
15k? What are you doing man!! :)

You worked one career for 40 years to achieve minimum wage!?

Pretty much every self employed spark I know, once they're established earns about £40-45k a year, on the basis that with a good reputation that's not too tough to achieve, and that it's fairly pointless trying to earn more as you jump into the next tax band = more work for less reward and starts to screw with the work/life balance.

You worked one career for 40 years to achieve minimum wage!?

Pretty much every self employed spark I know, once they're established earns about £40-45k a year, on the basis that with a good reputation that's not too tough to achieve, and that it's fairly pointless trying to earn more as you jump into the next tax band = more work for less reward and starts to screw with the work/life balance.

You're LTD co aren't you.......45k+ is not an issue when you're Ltd as I'm sure you know :)

You're LTD co aren't you.......45k+ is not an issue when you're Ltd as I'm sure you know :)

It actually makes very little difference these days. As it happens I also cap my drawing (salary/dividends) at the same sort of tax sensible level, and any excess goes into a complicated buy to let project we set up in place of a pension plan... I'll let you know how that worked out in 20-30 years ;)

I suppose the one thing about being ltd is if you have a good year you can leave the excess in the company and draw on it the next year, with less pressure to work as hard. But in the end, if salary or salary+dividends exceed the limit, you go into 40% tax. Or as I call it, the de-motivation tax.

I'm in Scotland and I'm 31. My friends who earn that kind of money are in Oil and Gas, there is demand for HNC qualified sparks in decommissioning work at the moment. The people here who make good money are either on the rigs or have their own small companies in wealthy communities and are confident enough to charge what they are worth.

Also, watch out for the boys who say they earn next to nothing, they're usually the ones who make £100k before they've combed their hair in the morning!

100k is achievable but you'll have to work long hours and usually far from home. This summer I was offered work on Tottenham football stadium at £2400 per week, but that required working 12 hours a day and 7 days a week. So £100k+ is achievable, but not sustainable. firstly you will burn out. secondly you will have little social life and no family life, thirdly these projects are not continuous, so even if you could, the work won't be there all year every year.

Another angle on this "I want 100k a year by X age" view...

There isn't really very much difference in lifestyle between 50k - 100k. The shift in tax means that of the extra £25k, you will only see around half of it anyway. And lets face it, if you're on £40-50k already, you're already in an income bracket where you don't have to worry too much about money. Those that earn minimum wage have to worry about the pennies when they're in the supermarket. For me, the biggest leap in quality of life money-wise came at the point I simply didn't have to worry about that sort of thing anymore. So if I see something I want to eat/drink, into the basket it goes. Same as worrying about MPG of my car, or whether I can afford to eat out overnight on holiday. The biggest leap anyone will make wealth-wise is simply not having to worry about cash everyday. Beyond that leap, there is no other leap until you reach the point where you have the supercar, 7 bed house with pool ect, at which point you can call yourself a rich bast@rd.

Earning effectively an extra £25k wouldn't really make very much difference. I would need to be earning substantially more to make my lifestyle 'better'. But on the other hand, for a spark, as has been pointed out, generally higher income means more hours, or in some way more stress and/or time away from home.

So at best you have a mildly wealthier lifestyle, but you get to enjoy far less of it one way or another.

It's also the difference between having a chipboard casket and solid oak casket.
You'll probably be paying for the solid oak long before the chipboard one.

To be clear I'm not paying for my own casket. Sling me in the back of the rubbish truck for all I care :D

For sure though, chasing ££ has many hidden costs in the form of stress, health and relationships. If you've got a comfortable house, a full fridge and a reliable mode of transport, you're basically in a place where you can have a great life full of experiences without needing very much more.

My only flamboyance is my car, but I could argue it still serves a functional purpose at least :)

Sorry to be brutal but 15K a year is what I earn.....I think minimum wage is a lot less. I've been through this discussion on another tread and have had the same response..I certainly don't know if any basic spark. That earns 45K..the norm in this area is about 23K max

Sorry to be brutal but 15K a year is what I earn.....I think minimum wage is a lot less. I've been through this discussion on another tread and have had the same response..I certainly don't know if any basic spark. That earns 45K..the norm in this area is about 23K max

I haven't checked min wage for quite a while but I'm sure that several years ago it was at least 14k for 21+

May I ask what age you are and how many hours you put in? I totally understand if you don't want to share, but it's hard to make anything of your input without knowing.

yes I'm now 63 and normally do a 5 day week

I could take this as an opportunity to make a point about what minimum wage would be. But I won't. What I will say is that at your time in life, and the doubtless experience you have over that time, someone is taking the p*ss by paying you £15k a year.

I'm sure many others will read this and agree. It's a nonsense salary for anyone working a full week in a trade that requires care and knowledge.

EDIT: Read back through and it's not clear if you're on payroll or self employed. Just to be clear though, my view is the same either way. You're well below a reasonable income for a tradesman working a full week.

Last edited:
Yes this view is what other treads have said...I am S/E because I have to be...companies do not employ people in the cards these days especially at advanced age.....I assume it's the same all over..would love to get into some branch of the trade that paid a reasonable rate but never quite figured it out.....any suggestions welcome

Reply to Highest paying specialty? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net