Discuss Hilmor pipe bender it's mine all mine! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

i only count 2. you got your beer glasses on?

I am in the middle of painting it right now will post a pic when done and all the bits and bobs have been put on. It is looking good already.

on the hunt for a 20mm
Get a new one on ebay or summat as the former is really the key element if forming a good bend.
you got that for a good price
Yeh apparently the guy had umpteen calls about it after I called. I thought on the way there mmm old guy retiring maybe he does not know what its worth and my conscience was going to offer him more like what it is worth. Then when I saw the house he lived in I thought okay £20 it is then. He just wanted to get rid and clearly knew the worth and was in no way short of money.

Get a new one on ebay or summat as the former is really the key element if forming a good bend.
Yeh apparently the guy had umpteen calls about it after I called. I thought on the way there mmm old guy retiring maybe he does not know what its worth and my conscience was going to offer him more like what it is worth. Then when I saw the house he lived in I thought okay £20 it is then. He just wanted to get rid and clearly knew the worth and was in no way short of money.
It was a steal trust me.

I was doing an installation recently involving galv, and had a wry smile at some other units doing the same. They had to tell the client they would have to use plastic conduit as they can't get the wires through:p, and instead of bending they used 90 degree bends to screw into, no wonder they could not get the wires through.
Think I just learnt something - it happens occasionally ;)
Cable through galvanised protection will go around a bent tube but not a screwed down corner - is that correct? Do you push it, pull it, rod it or thread it and then bend the pipe? Too many question in know but I'm a star with the PG Tips.

what do you mean by a screwed down corner? if you mean a pre-made angle or box.surely that will have an inspection plate so you can thread cable .

Do you push it, pull it, rod it or thread it
All bends, very rarely a jointed bend. It is very difficult to get cables around a jointed bend. The pic is 20mm conduit and the most interesting challenges with bends is screwing them into the joint boxes as you have a massive crank handle so to speak, so how do you wind the thread as you need plenty of space to do it? So that is why people use jointed bends and of course it is easier to measure and get right as opposed to making a bend fit to two different points. I use a piece of crate packing tie, you know those bands made of some kind of nylon? Just use a long one. Very good at snaking around the bridge even in the picture. And of course you really have to consult your conduit/cables tables to make sure before you start you have the right amount of cables allowable and doable!
Hilmor pipe bender it's mine all mine! IMG_3054.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Hilmor pipe bender it's mine all mine! IMG_3040.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

screwed down corner
Because they are cast corners the quality means there are loads of bits that obstruct the cable going around. When you remove the inspection plate there is not a corresponding hole it is filled in with badly cast metal, you could not even get anything in there to get hold of a cable on the short bends anyway, the sweeping bends are better.

Just the day to be in an insulated metal box Vorti, I'll bet it got a bit moist in there. Lovely job. You need to nip back and take a photo when all the furniture is in and the workers are there - one for the NVQ!

Thank you Vortigern.
Beginning to understand the gap between C&G2365 and the job. Anything involving forming materials (pipes, conduit etc) is as much an art as a skill. I plumbed a couple of kitchens with copper and a spring more for the experience than any objection to PEX. Took me AGES!

Tbh, I really enjoyed that job it is most satisfying the ring of the threader and grunt of the bender, mhm that sounds bad doesn't it. Anyhoo it was nice to do instead of miles of plastic conduit all the time. You know something that gives you satisfaction doing it, oh and money!

I remember being a skinny 21 year old and having to bend 32mm conduit for an installation, thank god for the length of scaffold pole that I liberated.

Reply to Hilmor pipe bender it's mine all mine! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock