Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Hilti wall chaser.... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. sythai

sythai Electrician's Arms

Just wondering if anyone uses one of this 'bad boys' ......?

Hilti.jpg

2. Guest123

Guest123 Guest

Had the same one for around 7 years, it is brilliant when used with a good hoover.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dcf

Dcf Electrician's Arms

I fond it abit awkward to use.i plumped for the makita which was less than half the price of the hilti equivalent and a Bosch gas 50 extractor

4. sythai

Think I'm going to hire one with the hilt dust extractor.... £100/day though !!

But we have got some serious chasing to do....old coach house refurb / walls not plastered but skimmed in what appears to be cement - rock solid / 3m ceilings etc !!

Reason I asked is I was wondering how close you can get to cut a chase from a corner, within 150mm ? Couple of awkward corner drops dotted around.

Thanks Sy

5. Dcf

Dcf Electrician's Arms

ooof! cement render.hard as a coffin nail i bet. off the top of my head i think the hilti cutter and hoover were about 1400 ex vat to buy. hefty investment in anyones books.

6. sythai

You got it.... any ideas why they may have used this - internally ?

7. Flyingsparks

Flyingsparks Regular EF Member

Just done a rewire where all the walls were really hard cement rendering. Used chisel bit in large SDS drill to chase out, took ages and never seen so much dust before !
    I think one of these chasing machines along with a good extractor would definately be a good investment, and may also save the lungs from so much punishment.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ACEELEC

ACEELEC Guest

We use the Hilti and the Hilti industrial suction unit aswell. It does save a lot of time and most of the dust created. We still have to use an sds chisel bit to take out the centre core as essentially it only cuts out the channel grooves. You can also turn it horizontally to cut out for boxes as well.
    We used to buy one of the cheaper twin blade units but they needed to be replaced so we bought a second hand unit from one of the hire companies .
    We paid about £350.00 ex VAt for it about 5 years ago and it has been worth every penny.
    We hired first and were able to negotiate that we paid for a weeks hire of the units but split it over several jobs during the month as there is a lot of difference in the day rate to week rate.

9. ACEELEC

ACEELEC Guest

meant to say. Talk to various hire companies and see if you can buy one of the older hire units. They are generally 'wrote off' the books after 3 to 5 years so you can get some good deals and they seem to be rugged enough for a long time of use after

10. sythai

Very tempted would be nice, already been looking on ebay.

Dont think we could justify it at present though, it wouldn't get enough use for what we do. 85% of the time the plaster is deep enough and comes off with the Makita SDS chaser no probs.

11. londonlec

londonlec Regular EF Member

I got one off Ebay for £250. Paid for itsself on the first rewire.

12. sythai

How about the dust extractor...? wouldnt be so bad if just had to get the chaser on its own

13. TaffyDuck

TaffyDuck Electrician's Arms

Does anyone know of a decent lower priced wall chaser that cuts decent widths? All the usual contenders only seem to go to 30mm width for some unknown reason, 40mm would be far more useful as you could get 2 x 2.5mm T/E with a 40mm cap into the chase.

14. ACEELEC

ACEELEC Guest

15. vernam616

vernam616 Regular EF Member

Hilti ones are awkward to use, be better with the makita

Another option is a angle grinder with a diamond wheel in, makes a great job of socket boxes too