Discuss Hilti wall chaser.... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I fond it abit awkward to use.i plumped for the makita which was less than half the price of the hilti equivalent and a Bosch gas 50 extractor

Think I'm going to hire one with the hilt dust extractor.... £100/day though !!

But we have got some serious chasing to do....old coach house refurb / walls not plastered but skimmed in what appears to be cement - rock solid / 3m ceilings etc !!

Reason I asked is I was wondering how close you can get to cut a chase from a corner, within 150mm ? Couple of awkward corner drops dotted around.

Thanks Sy

ooof! cement render.hard as a coffin nail i bet. off the top of my head i think the hilti cutter and hoover were about 1400 ex vat to buy. hefty investment in anyones books.

Just done a rewire where all the walls were really hard cement rendering. Used chisel bit in large SDS drill to chase out, took ages and never seen so much dust before !
I think one of these chasing machines along with a good extractor would definately be a good investment, and may also save the lungs from so much punishment.

We use the Hilti and the Hilti industrial suction unit aswell. It does save a lot of time and most of the dust created. We still have to use an sds chisel bit to take out the centre core as essentially it only cuts out the channel grooves. You can also turn it horizontally to cut out for boxes as well.
We used to buy one of the cheaper twin blade units but they needed to be replaced so we bought a second hand unit from one of the hire companies .
We paid about £350.00 ex VAt for it about 5 years ago and it has been worth every penny.
We hired first and were able to negotiate that we paid for a weeks hire of the units but split it over several jobs during the month as there is a lot of difference in the day rate to week rate.

meant to say. Talk to various hire companies and see if you can buy one of the older hire units. They are generally 'wrote off' the books after 3 to 5 years so you can get some good deals and they seem to be rugged enough for a long time of use after

Talk to various hire companies and see if you can buy one of the older hire units.

Very tempted would be nice, already been looking on ebay.

Dont think we could justify it at present though, it wouldn't get enough use for what we do. 85% of the time the plaster is deep enough and comes off with the Makita SDS chaser no probs.

Does anyone know of a decent lower priced wall chaser that cuts decent widths? All the usual contenders only seem to go to 30mm width for some unknown reason, 40mm would be far more useful as you could get 2 x 2.5mm T/E with a 40mm cap into the chase.

Hilti ones are awkward to use, be better with the makita

Another option is a angle grinder with a diamond wheel in, makes a great job of socket boxes too

Does anyone know of a decent lower priced wall chaser that cuts decent widths? All the usual contenders only seem to go to 30mm width for some unknown reason, 40mm would be far more useful as you could get 2 x 2.5mm T/E with a 40mm cap into the chase.

You could just use one cutting disk in the machine and go up the wall twice to the width you require, I have the bosch wall chaser and Gas25 vac, and like the Hilti it is pretty much dust free.

Thanks guys, thats what I`m doing at the moment, dont understand why they make them with 29/30mm widths only. I use a cheap old erbrauer. Its about 6 years old cost about £80 if i remember and its been great, doesnt owe me a penyy, but the bearings are starting to go, I tried one of the big Sparky ones but tbh its too big to use accurately on a wall, just too heavy and too much torque. My old erbreaur one with a 40mm cut would be perfect.

Reply to Hilti wall chaser.... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net