Discuss Hive Help - Hive with Potterton Promax 12 SL boiler in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hightower

So went and got myself a Hive since it was Screwies Deal of the Day. Just looking for some help wiring.

So I've got a Potterton Promax 12 SL boiler (http://www.potterton.co.uk/downloads/Promax_SL_installation_and_servicing_manual.pdf) and the original thermostat just had two wires with a third not in use. 230v in and a switch return. Nothing more going on behind original thermostat.

So I've now connected the 3rd unused wire to neutral at the control centre and now have perm live to perm live, neutral to neutral, and the switch return to "Heating On (NO)". Can I now just link my 230v perm live to common?

I'm assuming that because my original thermostat was a simple switch in and out, I can mimmick this on the Hive by using a perm live link to common and the switch out is wired to Heating On, but wanted some advice before I flick the breaker a blow my boiler.

So went and got myself a Hive since it was Screwies Deal of the Day. Just looking for some help wiring.

So I've got a Potterton Promax 12 SL boiler (http://www.potterton.co.uk/downloads/Promax_SL_installation_and_servicing_manual.pdf) and the original thermostat just had two wires with a third not in use. 230v in and a switch return. Nothing more going on behind original thermostat.

So I've now connected the 3rd unused wire to neutral at the control centre and now have perm live to perm live, neutral to neutral, and the switch return to "Heating On (NO)". Can I now just link my 230v perm live to common?
Which Hive is it, just out of interest?
Seems there's bloody loads! - http://www.NoLinkingToThis/search?search=hive

well,if the existing stat fires 240V to the boiler, then i can't see a problem with the hive firing back 240V.

as long as the hive stat contacts are rated for 240V.

as long as the hive stat contacts are rated for 240V.

The receiver contacts are (where all the wiring happens). I've done as I thought, turned it on and its not working. Doesn't seem to be clicking in. Can anyone shine some light on it for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
We have two programmers. One for the hot water and one for the heating. I bought the single channel to replace the Heating programmer (our hot water is just left on 12 hours of the day so wasn't fussed about hive for that). Anyhow, hot water is still in place untouched, but I've removed the central heating programmer to use this hive if that makes sense?

I'm not very familiar with heating (hence wanting to give this a try myself for experience) but believe it's an S plan. Here's the gubbins from under the tank if that helps.

There is no wiring diagram for the hive. Just says:

L. Permanent live
N. neutral
1. Common
2. Heating off
3. Heating on
4. Unused

IMG_1598.JPG

Yes its an S-plan as it has two x two port valves. So in the wiring centre live should be connected to permanent live which will normally be the terminal the greys of the valves are connected to if wired conventionally, link common on hive to live and terminal 3 on hive will connect to the brown of the ch valve. Looking at the pic the ch valve is the valve with the white head as the silver Honeywell valve is connected to the cylinder?

Yes the gray box is on a pipe to the tank. Here's a picture of the wiring centre before I touched it. Will explain further in following post....

IMG_1596.JPG

So all I've done is remove the two wires that were going to the original programmer. Then I wired perm live to terminal 2 in the picture, neutral to terminal 3, linked perm live at the receiver to common at the receiver, and then wired #3 on the receiver to terminal 7 in he wiring centre, which is the terminal that had the original black cable to the programmer in.

So all I've done is remove the two wires that were going to the original programmer. Then I wired perm live to terminal 2 in the picture, neutral to terminal 3, linked perm live at the receiver to common at the receiver, and then wired #3 on the receiver to terminal 7 in he wiring centre, which is the terminal that had the original black cable to the programmer in.
what terminal is the brown from the ch valve (one with white head and grey outer sheath) connected to? Terminal 9?

Reply to Hive Help - Hive with Potterton Promax 12 SL boiler in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net