Discuss Hive receiver connections to Vaillant boiler in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a Vaillant EcoTec Pro 28 boiler and a Vaillant mechanical thermostat (unsure of the precise model) and I’m thinking about installing hive to be able to access the remote switching feature and also to able to place the thermostat where I want it rather than where the installer thought it should go.

I should say upfront that I’m not an electrician and having looked at the board inside the boiler I’m leaning towards buying hive with the installation option, I expect that’s what the advice would be anyway to avoid any issues but my curiosity has the better of me and I wonder if anyone could offer any insight into how the hive receiver should be wired into my particular boiler. I have taken a picture of the board inside the boiler and also have the wiring diagram but I can’t identify where the various wires should be connected, anyone who knows care to offer their expertise, just to sate my curiosity? I noticed when looking at the board that there seems to be a second board beneath the one that’s visible in the picture, would it be necessary to access that to make the connections? Really appreciate any help.
RPhiqYlGRLipFL9Urk5Yuw.jpg x4hXEMYCSF+xLcHR1TW8iA.jpg

I should say upfront that I’m not an electrician and having looked at the board inside the boiler I’m leaning towards buying hive with the installation option, I expect that’s what the advice would be anyway to avoid any issues but my curiosity has the better of me and I wonder if anyone could offer any insight into how the hive receiver should be wired
yeah wright, time to get one in .

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply but in the context of my original post I'm no wiser. I was seeking specific advice as to which connections on the receiver go to which specific connections in the boiler.

You are the latest in a very long line of posters expecting unpaid professionals to provide you free advice.

So you could call hive, or call the boiler company or employ a local person ...... I suspect the first 2 options won't answer and tell you to speak to the other ...

Your choice

The RT, purple terminal is the return from your existing roomstat. Roomstat needs disconnecting. This is where the return from your hive receiver will connect to. The rest should be obvious.

You are the latest in a very long line of posters expecting unpaid professionals to provide you free advice.

So you could call hive, or call the boiler company or employ a local person ...... I suspect the first 2 options won't answer and tell you to speak to the other ...

Your choice
Feeling better now? Are you perhaps one of those unpaid professionals you refer to? Maybe you could have provided the information I seek in the same number of keystrokes it took you to type the above but it's much better to make yourself feel superior, isn't it? As I said, I am intending to have professional installation but was just interested in what goes where, but never mind, clearly no help to be had here. There was me thinking that internet forums were places where one could seek help, silly me. Oh, and by the way, if you feel inclined to respond I just thought you might like to know that I wont see it, I'm done with this forum, frustrating isn't it?

It’s easy to do, all you have to do is take out some of the wires and put some wires in then sit down have a beer and turn you heating up and down on your phone, here’s the diagram for all you need to know

Sorry will not post
Frustrating isn’t

Feeling better now? Are you perhaps one of those unpaid professionals you refer to? Maybe you could have provided the information I seek in the same number of keystrokes it took you to type the above but it's much better to make yourself feel superior, isn't it? As I said, I am intending to have professional installation but was just interested in what goes where, but never mind, clearly no help to be had here. There was me thinking that internet forums were places where one could seek help, silly me. Oh, and by the way, if you feel inclined to respond I just thought you might like to know that I wont see it, I'm done with this forum, frustrating isn't it?
@diditrain gave you the answers in posts #9 and #10.

If getting a professional in I don't know why you need to know what goes where

im about to install a hive to my boiler ecotec

remove the link between rt

hive reciver L N E for power same supply as boiler spur

RT to 3 on hive reciver (rt feed next to L N E

Live to 1 on reciver

from what i see there will be 3 L going into the boiler with reciver wired

please confim im correct b4 i get my screw driver out

Reply to Hive receiver connections to Vaillant boiler in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net