Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Hive receiver installation on Vokera Compact A Combi in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Robert Simms

Robert Simms New EF Member

I'm trying to install a hive active heating into a Vokera Compact A Combi boiler. I think I understand the principles of the system but am looking for support on wiring the receiver to the boiler.

The boiler electrical diagram can be found here http://qr.vokera.co.uk/qr?code=20099226 (figure 50 i think!)

The hive wiring (single receiver) can be found here: https://bucketeer-e9a3f077-0ec6-47c...6edbaa46c9c2cbfbfbea01f61b7cc8a85a67a4337.pdf

I understand that a permanent live and neutral must be linked to the relevant ports on the Hive receiver to provide power, and that ports 1 (Common) and Port 3 (heating on) must also be connected to enable the heating to be switched on and 'off', however I'm struggling to read the boiler diagram and have a few questions. Is there anyone willing to explain in laymans terms:

1. Should I be using 0.75mm 3 core and earth and leaving the earth unconnected? (The instructions say the hive is double insulated and does not require earthing)
    2. Which ports on the boiler diagram should I be connecting to?
    3. Do I need to put a link wire between the Live and Common ports on the receiver?

Help is very, very much appreciated!!

2. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

my advice is to contact hive and ask them for a nearest hive installer .

3. Shoei

Shoei Regular EF Member

What controller do you have now? Hive is usually easy to wire in place of or alongside an existing controller.

4. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

don't tell him pike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Robert Simms

Hi, thanks for responding. I’ve never used a forum so did not expect much!!

I was contemplating contacting Hive to get a professional install, but then I read so many reviews saying how easy Hive is to install! Hmm.

The boiler just has inbuilt controls and a mechanical time clock. No thermostat.

6. buzzlightyear

horse for courses.

7. buzzlightyear

for a trained spark ,yes .

8. Shoei

Shoei Regular EF Member

Bit odd that, any boiler must have a room thermostat for building regs - has the boiler been installed recently?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Robert Simms

New ish. We’ve lived there approaching 18 months, boiler had recently been fitted when we bought it. I should say it’s in an annexe so doesn’t get used much.

Ref. Buzz lightyears response - I wasn’t intending any offence and wasn’t suggesting it should be easy. Just that i’d read it was very easy. As I have discovered, it’s not so easy!

10. DefyG

DefyG Regular EF Member

Not so easy when integral boiler controls but hive installer or good sparks will sort it for you.