Discuss hiya new to this but needing help as my electrician has let me down....... in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

one coming at 3 - will let u know. yas Bill right at the loch can see Ben Lomond from here.

Sounds nice - even this time of the year - I'd rather be up there in the peace and quiet than down here on the South coast of England just now, I can tell you! Snow, or no.

Let us know what your sparks says - was he one from the forum or not, out of curiosity? Either way - let us know what he says, and we'll keep you right :)

Yeah, come on! We need to know. You can’t keep us in suspenders like that.:(

been trawling the internet over xmas trying to see who can help and I found you. hope you can assist with my question.....my shower switch has melted the cabling and I replaced it with another 45a switch (main wall outside bathroom). The replacement has now also melted after 4 months. I have now purchased a 50a double gang socket and was wondering if I needed to change my circuit breaker - hager 32a at present. My cooker circuit breaker is 40a. The shower is 7.5kw. thanks

PS how do you post properly on this ?
Are you for real mate? Do you have a wife? Kids? LEAVE well alone and consult an electrician before you cause a damn fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken I would assume your MALE therefore Id assume Carol would be female but it is amazing the lengths some people go to to avoid paying an electrician coming out aand doing things correctly so in answer to your first question Id probably say YES for real but asking advice and seeking help (all be it at a late stake in the process ) and she has put a request in the "Looking for forum" BTW Guys carol has posted she got it all sorted

i was seeking advice so I would not be ripped off or appear really stupid before I found an electrician. Yes he fixed it and as I had the right parts he did not over charge. would use this forum again - yes I am female but can tackle basic diy - change plugs, rewire lights etc but not deal with hard core wiring!

he stripped back the cabling, tested the circuit, fitted a double gang switch. He saw that the neutral and earth were rubbing and now that there is a bigger switch - much easier to avoid this in the future.

for what it is worth, i always tell my clients, with regard to shower switches, that the switch is an isolator and best left i n the on position. turn the shower on and off with the shower controls. each time the switch is operated with a load on, it will arc, causing premature failure.

he stripped back the cabling, tested the circuit, fitted a double gang switch. He saw that the neutral and earth were rubbing and now that there is a bigger switch - much easier to avoid this in the future.

I think the break has affected my IQ (no pun intended)!

What is a double gang shower switch and how would the neutral and earth 'rubbing' cause any melting?

Ken I would assume your MALE therefore Id assume Carol would be female but it is amazing the lengths some people go to to avoid paying an electrician coming out aand doing things correctly so in answer to your first question Id probably say YES for real but asking advice and seeking help (all be it at a late stake in the process ) and she has put a request in the "Looking for forum" BTW Guys carol has posted she got it all sorted
I didn't bother to read the name mate, I was in a state of shock at the post.

i was seeking advice so I would not be ripped off or appear really stupid before I found an electrician. Yes he fixed it and as I had the right parts he did not over charge. would use this forum again - yes I am female but can tackle basic diy - change plugs, rewire lights etc but not deal with hard core wiring!
If you don't want to be ripped off then you consult two, three or four electricians WHO can actually see the problem there and then in front of them. Most sparkies wouldn't charge you a call out fee just to see what the problem is!!! In fact, doing it this way, you will get a few different quotes for the work. Rewiring is not a job for a DIYer. NOR is mucking about with a shower circuit. Sorry if I seemed harse but believe me it wouldn't take much for you to get a serious electrical shock or cause a fire.

What is a double gang shower switch and how would the neutral and earth 'rubbing' cause any melting?

I'm guessing by a 'double gang' switch it's one of these......

MK_k5205whi.jpg

As for the rubbing??????

Or is it meant that the insulation of the neutral was being pinched in connection??though that shouldn't cause a blackened mess described earlier to that extent.

Einstein's favorite limerick was:
There was a young lady called Carol
who could travel much faster than light.
She departed one day
in a relative way
and returned on the previous night.

I got a feeling she will be back...lol

If she had a bit of overheating of the insulation caused by a loose/bad connection,the spark has bared it back and put a new/bigger switch on and tested,why would anyone think there will be future problems ?

He seems to have done what most would have done
If he did not, what else was he supposed to have done in addition to the above ?

If he was engaged after she posted and attended quickly,why on the one hand do we hear how underated and underpaid we are, and on the hand start talking down call out fees etc

She seems to have had good service, at short notice, at a difficult time of year
How many of you question inflated taxi fares etc at this time of year and dont bat an eyelid

Last edited:

Reply to hiya new to this but needing help as my electrician has let me down....... in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net