Discuss HMO fire test switch in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evening evening
had a job spec come through today that read:

'Services required: replace a consumer unit / fuse box
Additional information: We have approximately 170 house which are converted into 2 flats A/B, under HMO registration we have had all properties inspected with an NIC visual inspection certificate which shows what required. a majority of the properties need the following. New consumer unit, smoke alarms normally x2 per flat hard wire to light with battery back up. plus an heat x1 detector which needs to be linked with the adjoining flat and a test switch in the communal hall so the heat detectors can be tested without needing access into the flats themselves. So I'm looking for a contractor that can carry out these works and provide the necessary NIC completion certificate. so I need a price for the following
1, consumer unit to replace the old
2, x2 smoke alarms to be hard wire (normally to light) with battery backup.
3, 1x heat detector which is interlinked with the adjoin flat.
4, test switch for the heat detector to both flats to be fitted in communal hallway. '

Am i right in thinking he has that wrong- would it not be a bit silly having a test switch for the indivual flats in the communal area!

I was under the impression

2x sd+1x hd and a test switch in each flat

then they would need a panel sysem alarm for the communal area

thoughts?

looking at you post in each flat they will have their own smokes and heats. for each flat will be heat behind the fire door via fire panel .yes and how can you put in a test switch for each individual flat.

Last edited:
looking at you post in each flat they will have their own smokes and heats. for each flat will be heat behind the fire door via fire panel .yes and how can you put in a test switch for each individual flat.
I would have thought
2x ei166e smoke in each flat+ 1x ei164e heat in kitchen
with RadioLINK Control Switch - Smoke & CO Indicators - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/EI412.html

so them 4^^ to be in the flat
then a communal panel for the communal areas

Last edited:
Why not do exactly as requested, it seems quite sensible. Each flat has it's own system but there is a 'mini' communal system which is the heats and is seperate from the flat's own system. The communal bit of the system can be tested without access being required into the flats. Bit suprised that there is no smoke detector in the communal escape way linked with the communal heats though

Why not do exactly as requested, it seems quite sensible. Each flat has it's own system but there is a 'mini' communal system which is the heats and is seperate from the flat's own system. The communal bit of the system can be tested without access being required into the flats. Bit suprised that there is no smoke detector in the communal escape way linked with the communal heats though
Did just look into it and this is norm for hmo of 2 stories or less

Do the heats still go in kitchen or by the door leading to the main escape route- so they would have a heat and smoke in there hall!

I am far from knowledgeable in this, my knowledge comes from a recent meeting with a local authority housing officer, a fire officer and having 3 alarm companies design an hmo system for me to first fix and them to commission.
I have been told that the communal heats are to go (ideally) 500mm inside the entrance door but this will be governed by the layout. Smoke detectors placement should follow manufacturers instructions plus be placed double the depth of any obstruction away from that obstruction ie a 150mm protruding light fitting for example, you should be 150mm x 2 away from it to allow the smoke to circulate.
Don't see why having a heat and a smoke in proximity in a hallway is an issue, they burn the toast then it is only them who is being troubled by an alarm, if there is a fire then the heat detector alerts the neighbours

Reply to HMO fire test switch in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net