Discuss Hob Circuit Problem in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Blacktemplar

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi folks, first time on the forum so please forgive any technically inept terminology, but just wanted to seek some advice on an issue with domestic wiring. We recently had a new kitchen installed, and a new 30A circuit was required for an induction hob and double oven. The installers set up a separate consumer unit for this supply. Recently, we noticed a metallic burning smell and a buzzing from under the island unit where the hob sits, which disappeared when the consumer unit was switched off. Last night, we couldn't switch the hob on, and when I looked at the consumer unit, one of the MCB's had tripped. When I reset it, the hob came back on. About an hour later, the buzzing/crackling was back, and there was thin smoke from behind the island so I switched the supply off completely at the consumer unit and called out an electrician. He's now looked at the wiring, and tells me the problem is the (new) dishwasher, which he says has a faulty circuit board that's causing the problem. I'm not qualified to comment, but surely the issue is with the 30A hob/oven supply and not the dishwasher which is on a separate 13A circuit and wasn't even switched on when we had the problem? Any advice you can offer would be most welcome. Cheers.

which MCB tripped? cooker circuit or the circuit with nthe dishwasher on?

Hi and thanks for responding. It was the cooker circuit MCB that tripped. When I switched the power off at the consumer unit, the dishwasher was still live

then the fault is on the cooker circuit. loose connection probably. think your last electrician was talking out of his arse. you should getr the original guy back to fix his work. btw, did you get installation cert from him?

Thanks. Kind of where my thoughts were as well. Don't know about installation cert as it was a turnkey solution from a local kitchen showroom, but will ask. At the moment he's left the cooker/hob circuit live since lunchtime (someone here all the time with a finger on the switch ) and unplugged the d/w - so far so good, but I'm with you on this one.... Will be switching off the consumer unit at bedtime.....

OK, so your contract is with the kitchen fitters/suppliers. get them back. they will then need to rectify the problem. also, ask them for a installation certificate for the electrical work.

edit: and hold any payments outstanding till the problem is fixed and you have a cert.

Last edited:
These WERE the guys from the showroom - same ones that fitted the electrics in the first place. Have been speaking to them today but will ask for certs as you suggest. Sadly it was installed 6 months ago so all monies paid. Thanks for the advice...

then you get them back to fix it and give you a cert. any problems, call in trading standards. their work should be guaranteed 12 months, and not giving you a cert. is frowned on by TS.

Tel is correct get these guys back out and get them to fix the problem and issue the relevant certificate, you will be amazed how fast they respond once you mention trading standards.
Don't let them fob you off, you have paid for a service and they need to honour that.

Update - engineer came out from NEFF to look at the dishwasher, and as expected, nothing wrong with it. So called the original guys back again. Trouble is, the burning/crackling is intermittent, and as sod's law dictates, every time they come to look at it there's nothing to see or smell. They've replaced the 45A switch, so hopefully that cures it, fingers crossed. Thanks for all the replies.

Update - engineer came out from NEFF to look at the dishwasher, and as expected, nothing wrong with it. So called the original guys back again. Trouble is, the burning/crackling is intermittent, and as sod's law dictates, every time they come to look at it there's nothing to see or smell. They've replaced the 45A switch, so hopefully that cures it, fingers crossed. Thanks for all the replies.

I think you should Call in an independent electrician to have a look and carry out some tests.

Sounds like a good idea. I'm going to monitor it for a few days and see if we get any other issues, but I think getting someone else in makes sense - particularly if there's even a remote chance of a fire hazard. Cheers.

Sounds like a good idea. I'm going to monitor it for a few days and see if we get any other issues, but I think getting someone else in makes sense - particularly if there's even a remote chance of a fire hazard. Cheers.

That is what is most concerning, If there was a thin bit of smoke as you say then there is a failure somewhere that needs rectifying. I would get an independent electrician to have a look at every connection of the circuit to see if there is any visible signs of damage, loose connections, insulation of conductors that could of been trapped in a badly made off connection, to see if the circuit has been installed correctly and to carry out some tests on the new circuit/new consumer unit. Once this has been carried out and if it turns out fine then I would contact the manufacturer of the Hob, explain that all the wiring has been checked by the original installer, an independent electrician and that you either want a replacement Hob or one of there engineers to come and look at the hob itself.

Last edited:
To be honest I've been away on business a lot this week, and haven't got round to it yet, but will take this as a reminder...

Reply to Hob Circuit Problem in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net