Discuss Hob combustable zone and socket outlet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all
as the picture attached you can see the location of the hob and the metal socket to the right, now the gas fitter has gone to commission the gas and has said he can't do it as the socket is within 150mm of the hob
now looking at the picture , i agree that it looks a little close and looking at it more there is loads of room to the right , however the owner is a little concerned that his freshly tiled back splash will need damaging if it needs to move
any comments welcome , i want to do the correct job , however if the gas man is just being a jobs worth and following recommendations rather than regulations then that would be useful info

image002 2.png

Last edited:
That ring is designed to have a wok on it which will direct the heat and flam'age in that direction which is a shame.
I of a mistake is how it looks, I agree - decorative blank and a return visit.

Last edited:
Could it be under Reguation 512.2.1

Also any female in the kitchen is to be not allowed 1.8mts within any kitchen appliance.......

corrected that for you. it's females that stick knives in toasters, ram 25lbs. of washing in a 12lb. washer, pile dirty dishes into the dishwasher till there's none left in the cupboards, put pies on metal plates in the microwave........... and onandonandon.

corrected that for you. it's English females that stick knives in toasters, ram 25lbs. of washing in a 12lb. washer, pile dirty dishes into the dishwasher till there's none left in the cupboards, put pies on metal plates in the microwave........... and onandonandon.

Corrected that for you, hot Polish women don't do things like that........ ;o)))))))

Looks like that socket was there long before the hob was.

Ideally needs to be moved but the plumber also needs to come up with a the number from a relevant publication to back up his claim.

P69 of the sparkles guide to building regs shows diagram with cooker switch 100mm distance from hob but says must be positioned so it is not necessary to lean over hob to operate. Can’t find reference to sockets though. 300mm for sockets from sinks and draining boards.

Last edited:
OK, let's think about this...a plumber says he can't connect something because he thinks an electrician has got it wrong...but what has that got to do with it?
Plumber fits his stuff, job done. He's "commissioning the hob", not commenting on the electrics, surely? He should carry on, and make a comment on his sheet that suggests he is unhappy with the positioning of the socket.
Oh, how many people are killed every day because there is a socket outlet quite close to the hob?
I'm fed up with being told what to do...
even my wife is less strict!

Reply to Hob combustable zone and socket outlet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net