Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Hole in joist - question on span in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Sloth

Sloth New EF Member

I need to make a hole in a floor joist - I know it needs to be within 0.25 to 0.4 x the span, and in the middle of the joist etc, but I can't find a clear answer on what the span is when there is a supporting wall in the middle. Is the span seen to be between the outer wall, and the supporting wall in the middle? Thus you have a span either side?

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    the span is between 2 supporting walls, so in your case you have 2 spans.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

new build or old build?

4. Sloth

Sloth New EF Member

Thanks guys.

Old 60s ex-council house. There are holes in various places, both original and added-at-some-point in the past that are very much not in places they should be. I'd rather not add any others where they shouldn't.

5. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. willy fixit

willy fixit Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    Mike Willmott
    Remember sizing of joists is not to do with overall strength but rigidity.
    you could halve the size of all the timbers in your house and it would still stay up. Just wobble a bit more... then fatigue and fall down a bit sooner than it would have if you'd left it as the designer intended.
    If your hole is for one cable (say 10mm dia.)and if its in the centre go the joist it'll make no difference at all. Or rather the affect will be negligible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    what are you trying to put through?

8. ELECNEWT

ELECNEWT EF Member

I'm sure you were only exaggerating to illustrate a point, but his house would fall down fairly quickly.

If you halve the width of a beam you reduce its strength by a factor of two
    If you halve the depth of a beam you reduce its strength by a factor of eight
    If you halve both width and depth you reduce its strength by a factor of sixteen

• Agree Agree x 1