Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Hole saw recommendations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Matthew

Matthew Active EF Member

As title - any recs for Hole saw set? Looking at bosch progressor as like the idea of quick change and availability of different size saws.

Any other complete sets that are good?

2. Corbs

Corbs Regular EF Member

For first fixing or going through work tops and units ?

3. Matthew

Matthew Active EF Member

Mainly second fixing and usually down lights

4. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

I use crappy semi disposable ones for downlights and decent ones for smaller sizes.
    The Bosch progressor are a good set but pricey usually.

If doing a lot of metal drilling the thin wall cobalt mix cutters from armeg are good, but again, pricey.

5. The_apprentice2.0

The_apprentice2.0 Regular EF Member

The Bosch are good, I was suckered in by the quick release, but I've managed to snap 2 pilot bits drilling into metal panels so have returned to the old titan cheapo ones which have been doing me proud for the last 5 years ... (dare I say it):oops:

6. sam400

sam400 Regular EF Member

I use the armeg sheet metal holesaws for 20/25/32mm. Shame they don’t do 22mm

Then Bosch quick release set up for the bigger sizes. A mix of multi construction and the bi metal.
    Also conversion bits are good so you can use any old holesaw on the Bosch arbor,

7. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

Starrett, DeWalt, and Milwaukee all do 22mm versions of the same style holesaw.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pauls0212

Pauls0212 EF Member

armeg make a 22mm, if you mean the acceller8

• Like Like x 3
  9. jeremy

jeremy Forum Mentor

I found that the Bosch Progressor saws would start to wobble a bit in the arbor after a while, making trunking cuts difficult as the pilot hole would enlarge and the saw then doesn't follow it's own track.
    Swapped to Armeg about 5 years ago for trunking and panel holes. Dig out the Bosch or the even older Starrets for downlights.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PEG

PEG Respected Member

Any of the above mentioned brands,will do standard work,but without doubt,the top cutters are Starrett.
    I have used their gear for many years,and it is very dependable.

Using a cordless Hilti,and with cutting lube (Rocol or even WD40) i have done 30mm holes in 1" steel road plate.

The biggest killer,in record time,with the cheaper models,is peripheral speed. Get the speed right,and you can squeeze a lot of years,out of your cutters.

Just as an aside,a pal of mine,cleared a builders merchants,after demolition,and said he had a load of "spiky round drills..." (his first job is farming;) ) and when i visited,there were stacks of Bosch hole cutters,from 25mm to 150mm. I filled me pockets...obviously,and intended to use them on rough or throw-away tasks,as they were free.
    They turned out to be good quality,but were probably very old stock,so cannot comment on the new stuff.

11. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    personally, i think the best ones are the round ones. :mad::mad::mad:.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

13. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

14. Rob

Rob Control System Engineer Respected Member

Drilling speed is key when using holes saws.

Most are designed to be used around 900RPM or slower dependent on what you're drilling. Most cheaper battery drills won't run this slow.

This is what kills them, better quality will stand more abuse. However cheap ones will do just fine if they're used properly.

Also as mentioned, they aren't really designed for cutting through plaster. This dulls the tips quite quickly on cheap ones.

15. Timbo

Timbo Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    TechFix Services
    • Like Like x 1